Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here’s how some of the calves are maturing out to look from . We went exploring to get all these photos the cattle weren’t coming up to the property so I brought my camera a took photos after we found all of them the majority of these calves were born right when 2021 started we had a couple near the end of February and April but that was the end of calving for the most part ya

Know I love taking my photos
A6A1B5A3-6ACE-42A4-B655-21EAA8EB58FF.jpeg
ACEEE641-1060-4247-BA63-1CCC565ED8A0.jpeg
E9D814F8-2FBF-4266-83A1-9F9BF60A081E.jpeg
47AA6D55-017B-44C1-9765-625E7BEC6904.jpeg
971E08C5-2E4E-41D8-9D3D-F724BC1A8543.jpeg
D73AFD51-6783-4DEA-B4C7-840D7DA068D2.jpeg
6579796C-19E6-492D-9795-3A011289C5D3.jpeg
7020ADF8-7972-45DD-A035-70150810C746.jpeg
D4A5BEAA-B9FE-432B-B365-B8B1EA7F1BC6.jpeg
5D9D719B-B573-44E0-A736-AAA5DE2640B3.jpeg

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Question... do you switch sides from year to year on the ear tags? I noticed some have tag in left ear and some have tag in right ear. Is that for faster identification?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question... do you switch sides from year to year on the ear tags? I noticed some have tag in left ear and some have tag in right ear. Is that for faster identification?
Sometimes what we do if ones a bull calf we’ll tag different ears so that we know which is a bull and which is a heifer so that we can load up the bulls separate from the heifer calves great question it makes it easier when they have to be loaded and taken to auction we can see which side the ear tag is so that we can separate them. Because sometimes if we’re selling the bulls we’ll see which side the ear tag is on so we don’t accidentally throw in a heifer with em

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most bull calves have right ear tags but if we’re selling a heifer than we will tag them in the right ear so they are loaded aswell but if we’re keeping them back they will be tagged in left ear :) but rj this was a great question

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Most bull calves have right ear tags but if we’re selling a heifer than we will tag them in the right ear so they are loaded aswell but if we’re keeping them back they will be tagged in left ear :) but rj this was a great question
Thanks, I have actually never seen this in a management system before so I wanted to ask. This method makes sense, especially if you aren't castrating bull calves (also not a thing I see often). So what about the bulls you plan to keep, do they get tagged the same as the sale bulls?
I guess what I'm asking, is this to essentially identify the "keep" group and the "sell" group at a glance? It's a pretty cool idea.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I have actually never seen this in a management system before so I wanted to ask. This method makes sense, especially if you aren't castrating bull calves (also not a thing I see often). So what about the bulls you plan to keep, do they get tagged the same as the sale bulls?
I guess what I'm asking, is this to essentially identify the "keep" group and the "sell" group at a glance? It's a pretty cool idea.
If we have a bull that may get held back for breeding he will get tagged in left ear also if we don’t like how one of the heifers or one of the bull calves end up maturing at a year old that left ear tag comes out and we tag them in the right ear . Sorry it took so long to answer

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish this boy was mine! He’s a beauty this is not my photo I just looked up a beautiful bull 😂 to admire the bulls that can be produced by these people
1C95CB3F-DF69-40EC-834D-40B1594E5206.jpeg

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Nice looking animals.

The calves are so cute, aren't they?....The "cuteness genes"-- big eyes, stubby legs, rounded forehead, small teeth-- go back at least to the dinosaurs, if not the fish before them....They've been retained in the population because they have survival value....Seeing those traits probably stimulates the mothering instinct and may even deter predators (It makes more sense to let a baby survive to adulthood to have a bunch of babies than to get one small, easy meal now).

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If we have a bull that may get held back for breeding he will get tagged in left ear also if we don’t like how one of the heifers or one of the bull calves end up maturing at a year old that left ear tag comes out and we tag them in the right ear . Sorry it took so long to answer
Cool system, I like it

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Ok, knock it off. No more pictures of cute calves. My wife is seeing them, and thinking of ways we can raise a few cattle. In addition to the goats, horses, mules, and dogs we have now. Please, help me out here, I am begging you.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, knock it off. No more pictures of cute calves. My wife is seeing them, and thinking of ways we can raise a few cattle. In addition to the goats, horses, mules, and dogs we have now. Please, help me out here, I am begging you.
Hehe tell her I’ll give her a baby calf haha just kidding mule I’ll post more just for herrrrr

1 - 20 of 20 Posts