Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard on the news that some UP of MI people were being evacuated due to wild fires in a national forrest.

Are Jerngen and any other UP'er okay?

Angie

·
Hiccoughs after eating
1,003 Posts
I didn't hear about this yet. My folks live up there. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
168 Posts
12,000+ acres north of Newberry in Luce county burned already. It's as dry up there as it is down here plus there is a lot of forest land.

·
Perpetually curious!
2,749 Posts
LOL! I'm okay! I've heard about the Newberry fire (real small blurb on our local news) and a few others but haven't heard of any evacuations or anything.
The hilarious thing is, I live in Marquette county (west central U.P.) and I hear about most of these things from friends and relative out of state! :baby04:
Guess the locals don't consider it newsworthy? :shrug:

I'm still considered a newcomer in these parts. If there are any veteran Yoopers on here who could explain that (why it doesn't seem to be very newsworthy) to me, I would love to know! :)

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,305 Posts
It is in a remote area without roads or homes. The DNR did a small back burn near highway 123. We haven't had much rain all summer and none in July. May get some rain later on in the week, but far from a sure thing. After the fire, it should be good blueberry picking next summer. Map quest Paradise MI, the fire is west of there. Thanks for thinking of us.

·
Perpetually curious!
2,749 Posts
Funny. After my post yesterday, I check the news today and it's almost all reporting about the five bigger fires we have up here?? Interesting reading anyhow. Some residents are being asked to evacuate in another area now too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts