Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already this morning.... DH is out the door.... off to hunt the "mighty" black bear.... :D..... I think I'm headed back to bed for an hour or so....

Good luck to all the Pennsylvania Bear hunters this morning....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Cow Whisperer;
People in Pennsylvania hunt black bears for real or is this a euphemism? What would someone do with a dead black bear?
tamilee

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
My uncles used to go every year in Clearfield County, PA. I remember we would get up and Grandma would make Pap Soup. No idea what it is but it was a sweet breakfast soup they ALWAYS had before hunting. Tradition you know.
None of or family ever got a bear but a cousins DH was mauled by one. He lived to tell the tale.

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if DH happens to come home with one, first off I'd be dancing on my hands (LOL).... :banana02:.... and of course we'd have all those great pics.... then we would either get a full body mount or have a nice bear hide....

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I googled pap soup and this sounds like what she made.

Really simple hot, Dutch soup. Cooked barley, rice or oatmeal can be used instead of flour.
* 2 quarts buttermilk
* 3/4 cup flour
* sugar or molasses

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I hear bear meat is really good, just a little greasier than most people are used to. We had friends back in WA that went bear hunting every year, between the bear and the elk and/or deer they never had to buy meat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.