Unwanted email Alerts

Discussion in 'HomesteadingToday Announcements & Support' started by Bogey, May 13, 2020.

1. Bogey

Bogey Active Member

I am still getting email alerts for all comments that are added to threads that I have made posts.
    I have unchecked the options for getting these alerts.

Please HELP! I don't want to continue to be spammed with alerts every time someone adds a new post on those threads.
    Sincerest thanks in advance.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Have you tried clearing your cache and restarting your computer?

3. Bogey

Bogey Active Member

Thanks Bff for the reply.
    I have restarted my computer several times over the last several days, trying to stop the Alert spam. I'll try to see if clearing the cache & then rebooting will solve the issue. It must be something simple like that, but I just need to run it down.
    You would think that setting and saving the preferences would do it, but I guess that is just too simple a solution for computer programmers to make it work. Thanks again & CHEERS!

4. Bearfootfarm

This has happened before with some others in the past, so it might not all be on your end.
    There are lots of variables that have to all work together, and the site could use a big update.

5. Bogey

Bogey Active Member

Bff,
    Thanks again for your reply. Last night I cleared the cache and rebooted my computer, then went to bed. This morning there was another email alert for the "What's cooking at your house thread."

I've done what I can comfortably do at my end, and have not solved the issue. I am from the Stone Age and have limited knowledge/skills when it comes to computers, and messing with settings, caches, etc. sometimes terrifies me (always afraid that will cause Cyber World to crash!)

I will just live with the annoying Alerts spam for the foreseeable future. I will limit the threads that I post on, to help minimize the spam. However, the thread that I mentioned above will most likely outlive me and so the spam will continue. SIGH!
    Best wishes & CHEERS!

6. Bogey

Bogey Active Member

Bff,
    By the way, my system:
    • Asus 17" Laptop, upgraded with a Solid State Drive (few years ago)
    • 750+ Gig Ram
    • Google Chrome
    • Windows 10
    That should be most of the pertinent info.
    One of my biggest pet peeves is that Website and Software developers often create their SW with bells & whistles that are nice, but not user friendly to lay people like me. What's the point of having numerous deluxe options, if it makes the SW burdensome and difficult to use.
    OK, rant over!

7. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I tried an changing your settings a bit. Let me know if it worked.

8. Bogey

Bogey Active Member

wr,
    OK thanks, your post just now on here did not show up as an email Alert spam. If you don't mind telling me, what did you do that I didn't do? Am I that inept on the settings/preferences? Regardless, sincerest thanks and hopefully I'll be spam free going forward. Oh JOY! :)

9. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I unchecked your 'Receive email when a new conversation message is received' box, right after I realized I have 1050 unread HT messages piling up in my email as well.

I went to change my settings to see if I could fix mine and figured I could walk you through it and for drew a complete blank so I figured if I can fix yours the mod way, hopefully I can resolve mine as well.

po boy likes this.
  10. Bearfootfarm

@wr has Super Powers, unlike we mere mortals. ;)

11. Bogey

Bogey Active Member

wr,
    Thanks! for finding a solution and for sharing the info with me. You are my HERO! I'm not really sure how I overlooked that box, nor does it really matter. The mere fact that you were able to fix it for me is good enough for me. It will be a beautiful sight to check my emails (aol), without seeing the inbox cluttered with "Alert" spam. wr, you ROCK!

Also, I would like to give a special "SHOUT OUT!" to Bff, who was kind enough to spend his time to help me find a solution. CHEERS! Bff.

Oh boy! now I can post on numerous threads without being plagued by Alert emails spam...(OK, down boy, let's not get carried away).

po boy likes this.