Unwanted dogs and cats?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Queen Bee, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Why do poeple dump their unwanted animals on street corners, on long country roads or at our homesteading places!!!! There are so many places that they can take them where they will get new homes, food, water and medical attention! Do they really think it is better for them to be shot for stealing our chickens, rabbits etc , run over or starved to death!!!!!!!!! How in God's name is this better????

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Some don't want to pay the price charged by the pound to accept an animal. Others just don't have much sense.
    I've known people who turned an animal out saying 'the pound will pick it up and I won't have to pay the fee' but the pound didn't pick it up. Mostly I think it is plain lack of caring or empathy for any other creature's suffering.

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Queen Bee, I think there are a couple different kinds of droppers. One group thinks that we have the space, money and time to care for their pets since we look after our own so well. Another group thinks little of the consequences, they simply figure they are allowing a domestic pet to have it's true freedom (and they don't have to care for it). Yet another group is simply a bunch of cowards, they take pets, chose not to keep them and don't have the guts to admit they failed the animal. By taking an animal to a shelter, placing an ad or dropping it off at a vet clinic they would be publicly admitting they've failed. Whatever their reasons, I still hate it, we get tons of cats, dogs and tame rabbits every year. I continually have an ad on the board at the vet clinic looking to find a home for one more homeless cat. The sad thing is that these animals are unable to cope with living feral, many simply don't make their fist trip across the road.

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

cyngbaeld... My take on the dumpers is that they really don't care about the animals, but they want to tell themselves that at least they didn't kill them.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

bgak47
    I think you hit the nail on the head.

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

This is a really touchy topic for me right now because I just can't take in any more dogs right now ... but someone dumped off the sweetest, cutest, most lovely little hound doggie down the road just a day or so ago. :( It broke my heart but no amount of cogitating on my part could come up with any way to bring him home without causing major problems.

I really don't know what's wrong with people who dump their pets. I honestly don't. All I know is that something IS very wrong with them. :no:

7. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

We have had hundreds of dogs over the last 30 yrs. that people have dumped! For some reason they either come-two by two or they come pg or with a load of puppies! I know that having a dog or cat spayed/nuetered is expensive but around here it costs less than 100$--If you save 10$ a week for 10 weeks you have enough money to have it taken care of....
    The reason I posted this was last week some A-- hole dropped off two young dogs (almost grown) on the corner these animals stayed there for 9 days.. looking, waiting and going without shelter,food and water for most of a week. After several days our local animal advocates stepped in and rescued the male but the female was very scared and refused all help. We spent hour after hour trying to convince her that we were OK. If you rode by she was sitting in the same place waiting--for someone that did care one cent about her and her well being!!! Broke my heart--but today she let me get her in the cage and off to the vet for shots, bathe and to be spayed!!! We have a lady that adopted the male and the female has a great foster home! But if these behinds would have taken them to the rescue it would have saved so much time, engery and resources... They never offered to chase the animals(chickens, rabbits ducks that were across the road)--they just sat and waited.......

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a throway soceity , dog,cats kids people don't care as they cost money to keep.

9. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

If you can't afford the total cost of caring for your animal properly, then don't get one.

Don't make me go out and shoot them or drown them. I have always had all the animals I wanted, I don't want anyone elses problem pets.

I like animals of my own, but I don't want yours. :no:

SSS has always worked for me. :eek:

10. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

I would much rather shoot the dumpers than the dumpees :yeeha:

mc

11. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Several years back, I was fishing under a bridge on the Catawba river when I heard a pick up truck stop above me on the bridge, his door opened and he tossed a large burlap feed sack off into the water landing 15' in front of me.
    The sack was thrashing and I could hear there helpless yelps...I dove in to find this idiot had stuffed the sack with unwanted pups. Only one of the 5 survived. I gave him to a friend who cared for the pup,the others I had buried. To this day "BOB" is still with my friend.
    Now I don't like stray dogs around my place and do what I can or what I have to do to prevent attacks on my animals. But for this guy that takes helpless puppies and dumps them off a bridge 30 feet into the water to drown :rolleyes:.....well I'd like to give him a big drink of anti-feeze, wrap him in a feed sack and give him a toss off a bridge.
    If ya gotta put an animal down.....do it humanely :(
    T

12. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I don't understand why people dump their pets. Especially here because there is no fee to take them to the animal shelter/ humane society. You can even have your animal spayed/nuetered there at a discounted price of $35 and sometimes free. We have a classified paper that covers the entire state and I am always seeing ads in there for free pets so why not just give them away instead of dumping them on someone that doesn't want them or leaving them to fend for themselves. :confused: :no:I guess some people think that someone will stop and pick them up or take them in and sometimes that happens but most of the time around here they end up being ran over in the road or shot for bothering someone's animals. Right now there are five strays that wander the road that we live off of and one has 4 pups her. I have four dogs as is and just can't take anymore :waa: . If you can't afford an animal or can't properly care for it don't get one, if something comes up and you can no longer care for it, don't want it, whatever, at least have the decency to find it a proper home. :yeeha:

13. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'll second that idea! I live in town most of the time & only get to my country place every few weeks, but when I get down there, there's usually a stray dog hanging around. I can't just shoot them because I don't know if they have just wandered away from home or if they've been dumped. When my kids were little they used to try to feed them, behind mine & my wife's back. We finally were able to explain to them that it was no good feeding them, as we would be gone in a few days & the poor dogs would just hang around expecting food that wasn't going to be there. I've had to put kids to bed that were crying because someone was uncaring,cruel,& irresponsible, so yes,I'd like to have a chance to shoot them... in the a&& with rocksalt from my 12ga ! :no: :(

14. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

I've had animals dumped before. On Christmas Eve, a guy drove up to the grocery store and dumped a Sheltie puppy. The poor puppy was so confused and tried to chase the car. A man stopped and picked him up to take home for his kids. I got a cat when I overheard the owner say he was going to take any kittens that didn't get picked home and drown them in the lake. (We were outside of Wal-Mart) Whenever I get a dumped animal or can catch a stray that doesn't look sick, I bring them home and call animal control. They come out within 24 hours and the animals are given at least 3 days, more if there is space. I never bring them inside or near my pets because I don't know if they are sick, but at least they have 3 or 4 days of care and are humanely put to death.

15. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

When I worked at a Vet clinic we had a lady bring in a small fail puppy whith a big chain around its neck she also had smothing in her hand well it turns out some idiot had chained 2 puppies together and left them under an over pass. The vet said they had been out there for what looks like over a week
    But the really sad part was is that the little male puppie had been chained up to his dead sister for about a week. and when the nice people finnaly found him he had been starving and bite up by ants ( his dead sitter was attracting ) and couldnt get away from her but the little male puppie was adopted by the people who found him so somthing good came out of it I hate people who cant take care of there animals

16. those "people" are lazy worthless creeps, guilty of animal cruelty

17. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My Dogs are fixed,and Fenced in,I take them out Hunting or Riding around every so often,make sure they are up on their shots,and well fed.

These people that are dumping are not dumping Pets they are dumping something they don't want.If I'm sure that an Animal is a stray I will shoot it.My neighbor has 2 Dogs that cause problems all the time,he tells me to shoot them,which I probably will,but I don't want him thinking if one of my Kids happen to get out that it gives him permission to shoot them.

big rockpile