unusual undercarriage

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bethlaf, Apr 3, 2005.

1. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

all right, we bought soem rabbits at auction last night, reallyo nly wanted the one red satin buck ,
    and the lop buck , but it was all 9 rabbits for 1.25 each , kind of hard to turn down , figuring the rest will go for freezer

on the underside of some of the bucks , they have well, if they were dogs or any other mammal i would think its thier testicles, buti know its not
    on either side of thier penile opening they have elongated hydroceles,on the red satins its about 2 inches long, and thier pening is very swollen and kind of oddly shaped
    heres my question , these guys are still in quarentine
    but.................
    is this something common in senior bucks ? or a deformity that should have been culled out before they got to maturity??????

ive never seen it before, now granted i never keep animals for that long for breeding, so i dont know ......
    hoping someone else can help me out
    im guessing this is just butcher meat...

Beth

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I would be inclined to NOT use them to breed, have you time to check out your rabbit book on the subject??

3. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Mature bucks have testicles.

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds very odd all right! If I came upon something like that I would definitely keep them in quarantine until 14 or so days had passed since they looked normal again. I think I would put them on 10 drops of grapeseed extract per gallon of water for a week and see what happens. THe grape seed extract kill all sorts of "things" in animals and people too without being an antibiotic....it's at the health food store. this would help clean them up of all sorts of things you may or may not see. 10 drops is a treatment level...after that, 5 drops in their water per gallon every 3-4 months is a great maintenance level. Helps with coccidia, etc. On the web there is lots of info. about this "little gold mine". (Pure Liquid Gold is my favorite site for all the household uses and animal and garden uses of GSE)
    Good luck with the rabbits!

5. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like the vent glands may be infected and need cleaning out.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee

6. Kumi_Ori

Kumi_Ori Active Member

Why do you think it is not the testicles? Mature bucks have rather large testicles on either side of the vent. Go to http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/gender.htm and scroll down to the 4th picture. This is what the undercarriage of your bucks should look like.