unusual milk

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by len, Apr 25, 2005.

1. len

len Well-Known Member

Had a first timer deliver twins this morning. One little lad was a bit weak at sucking so I milked out a few ounces to bottle feed him. Had a two ounces left over and left it on the counter to feed him later. This stuff separated into a thin brown watery layer on the bottom and a creamy layer on top...certainly not the kind of thick rich colostrum I'm used to. Has anyone seen this before?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've always assumed it was normal and not unlike seperating blood into the serum and um other stuff (Its gotta have a name). That blood serum makes a useful colostrum replacer if its from a healthy animal in your flock.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sorry meant to add not all colostrum has done this but I have noticed it. Never really observed colostrum closely to see if its consistant! Looking forward to more answers on this one.

4. len

len Well-Known Member

thanks Ross, good to know someone else has seen this. I opted to raise the little guy as a bottle baby, since I now have considerable skill at this. :)
    Momma didn't have a huge amount of milk and I've watched the strong lamb and momma's udder closely...all seems well.
    I'll mention it to the vet next time I see him and see if he has a fancypants name for it, then post it here.
    cheers,