Unusual Heat Source?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Terry W, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

I recently had a chgange of plans, and my rabbits are now housed in my donated HiLo travel trailer. I gutted the trailer as part of what I have future plans for. I put the rabbits in there a little over a week ago, and last weekend, due to the snowy conditions, I installed a crate for my Chesapeake in there alongside the rabbit cages..

Well, it has been, snowy, blowy, damp and otherwise miserable, and my four little furballs are enjoying nice temps above freezing. there is little to no draft present, yet ventilation is good. i was surprised to look in one morning to find the two girls stretched out-- so they must be warm enough, heh?

I put a piece of hard plastic between the dog crate and the rabbit cages to avoid visual stress, even though they are used to being in each other's presence. The rabbits are active, eating like little pigs, and continuing to blossom. I don't think the breedings at the beginning of the month 'took', even though the broken blue is looking chubby about the waistline. I do see a small dewlap forming on her, but time will tell.

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd never have thought about using a Chesapeake as a heat source... but whatever works!

3. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL! "Wanted: St. Bernard or other large breed dog to be used as trailer heater. Must like rabbits." Remember the group Three Dog Night in the '70's? I've heard that referred to northern natives' use of dogs to help heat their housing. Three dogs needed was a pretty cold night. not sure if it's true or not, though.

Jennifer

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

True or not, it makes a great story. It does kind of sound familiar too. :)

5. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

'Three Dog Night' was a shepherds saying, as they slept with their dogs for warmth while tending their flocks. A three dog night meant you needed a dog on each side and one on your feet to keep you warm.

6. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Actually, yes, a "three dog night" was one where an extra dog was permitted in the bed. They do make nice bed warmers, provided they are clean---
    Now I knew my Chessie generated a lot of heat, I just didn't know HOW MUCH!! It was 20 degrees warmer in the little trailer than outside this morning...