Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..went and purchased a nice beginners kit from Midwest Supply. Seems to look like there is everything I need to begin. Have about 40 pounds of concord grapes..Understand it will take 80 pounds to make 3 gallons of wine ?? So will can some grapes as juice and willI be able to use it later for wine..??It seems so confusing to me to get started..Give me some confidence and suggestions..thanks for all help..

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
I think you will be happy canning juice and experimenting with some for wine. You may have gotten some basic instructions with your kit. It will be fun to watch the process on the kitchen counter and counting the fruit flies that show up to see what you are doing. Love to watch the bubbles.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fruit fly heads up !! Will let the bats in at night to take care of the fly..that should clean them up for me. Good advice..

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
I would freeze the grapes whole or freeze the juice before canning it for wine.

The heat from canning will break down some of the enzymes and tanins that improve the taste & quality of the wine. Freezing will keep them intact. Freezing the whole grape instead of just the juice will give you the option of ferminting the wine on the skins later for inproved color and tanin retention. Freezing the whole grape also helps to break down the cell walls so you will get a slightly higher yeild and sugar content.

You can use canned juice you just get a different wine. With canned juice you would be shooting for something closer to a blush then a big dark red. Most likely the wine would also be drinkable sooner (3 to 6 months) but not age as well.

U

·
0 Posts
80 pounds translates to about 10 gallons. So, your numbers are off, and badly.

The simplest wine recipe I use calls for 10 cans frozen concentrated grape juice($1.29 a can for store brand) 8 pounds of sugar(about $4.00) and enough water to make it 5 gallons. And yeast, which I buy in enough volume to make the cost negligible.

For $17 and 5 minutes of work, you get 5 gallons of 15% alcohol, pretty stiff stuff. Normally I'd add 5 pounds and 11 ounces of sugar for a 12.2% wine, which is plenty strong for most purposes. So, it would cost about $16 then.

It's real simple, and nothing to fret about. Lot of good posts here about simple winemaking. If you want to get fancy, start simple or you'll get severely discouraged.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK..got the "wine" in the 2 gallon bucket for the 24 hour wait. Spoke with the company + bought the kit from..and got so confused..just sort of went with simple directions..found on line. Could not get the hydo-thingy to tell me how much sugar to put into the liquid so put about 3 cups of sugar into it. Have about a little more than a gallon of wine liquid in a 2 gallon bucket to ferment. Will be freezing the other 30+ pounds of grapes..what have I gotten myself into !!!(hick cup)

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
You are now a vintner. Take notes. By a box of wine to drink while you study and wait. There is something already happening.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I haven't made any wine yet...but beer TV is a lot like Chicken TV...just not as exciting. Chickens crow and scratch...the air lock just burps, but it gives me a reason to crack open a home brew beer and watch what I have made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts