Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two current cats and one now deceased cat who have had a run in with something or eaten something bad.
The effects are neurological and fade with time.
They show up with the following symptoms:
Unsteady and stumbling walk with a slight splay to the legs when standing still.
Tilted head to one side that makes for interesting drink and eating stances.

They are indoor outdoor cats that hunt for fun.
Socks(now dead) had been afflicked twice. Kira was effected last year and Peter is showing the symptoms now. They don't have any visible injuries.
Kira still has slight tilt to her head but this has never gotten in the way of eating or drinking. They are still able to jump up to their food bowl on the kitchen island.
Kira is Peter's mother and his father is believed to be a stray. Socks is unrelated from a domesticated stray mother and wild stray father.

I think that they have been eating poisonous lizards(a favorite toy of theirs) but what else could cause something like these symptoms?

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
A number of things... my Jackie had those issues when he was going into renal failure. :(

I think it's time they saw a vet, sounds like they are getting into poison to me, but it could be anything... and at any rate, a vet may be able to tell you what they'r getting into (or at least give you an idea) so you can look for it. Keep them indoors for now, too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is Socks lived for a couple years after he was effected.He was run over playing chicken with a pick up truck. He was a really stupid cat. I can't say I miss him. He was my sister's cat.

Now I was just watching Peter a the food bowl about an hour ago and I can't find the symptoms anymore beyond a little limp. Kira has been living with this for over a year now so I don't think anything can be done by the vet for her(even if we could afford it right now).
I'm thinking they could have tangoed with a poisonous snake or eaten a poisonous plant. If Peter only ate a couple leaves of something he could be effected alot less than Kira if she ate a whole branch.

Unfortunately we really can't confine them to the house. We don't have ac so we have windows open and an opening in the screen door for the dog to get out into the yard. They also have to do their business outside.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This sounds like a bacterial infection of the middle ear. In cats this occurs without an infection of the outer ear.

The signs seen include difficulty in balancing, a tendency to sway or stumble, sometimes circling and often head tilt. Because there is no external sign of infection, positive diagnosis can be difficult as the ear drum often remains intact and in any case the type of pus produced in the middle ear is semi-solid in consistency. X-rays occasionally help.

Treatment is not easy. Antibiotics by the usual routes are not always effective and attempts have to be made to irrigate and introduce antibiotic into the tympanic bulla itself; this is not an easy job for the surgeon. A permanent head tilt may be left even after fairly successful treatment.
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/infosheets/disease/ear/earproblems.html

I hope this is all it is! Sounds like a vet visit is in order for those two!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
We have had several cats with those symptoms over the years. It can be a condition called "vestibular syndrome". That is a problem with the inner ear, which causes them to feel dizzy. It also causes the pupils in their eyes to be more dilated than normal, have you noticed that? When we took them to the vet for it, he put them on prednisone until it cleared up. Most recently we had a cat with a mild case, I did some internet research to see if there were any newer solutions. Some of the research said it seems to clear up on its own in about the same time as if you treat with the pred. So we didn't medicate her, just made sure she was eating and drinking OK and was safe. She is fine now. Do a google search on feline vestibular syndrome, see if it sounds like what your cat has.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts