Unruly Nubians

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wiman, Nov 28, 2005.

1. wiman

wiman New Member

Hi all, first time poster. Was excited to find the site. I hate being the newby with a thousand questions but I was hoping that someone here with a little time would be willing to offer suggestions.

My herd: I have 3 nubian does, I got them last spring and it has been a great experience so far. One of the does provided milk all summer, I have her kid. She is older and her other kid died at birth. When I got her, the surviving kid took milk from the one side only, and the other teat was bloated big time. I would milk it down daily to relieve pressure but the milk seemed to be 99% water, not creamy at all but still white. Milk from this side did not yield much when I tried making cheese, so I quit keeping the milk. It otherwise smelled and looked normal. The other teat (nursed by the surviving kid) seemed normal with rich milk and made some nice chevre. The kid is no longer nursing and her side has dried off whilst the weird teat is still bloating up with watery milk. I continue to drain it as needed but wonder how long this is going to go on, and whether treatment of some sort might be warranted?

My other doe was slated for slaughter when I got her, as she was pretty wild and fearful of people. She is very pretty though, and I'm happy to report that she is now tame and lets me pet her. The previous owner told me she would never tame so I feel pretty good about her, and would love to breed her for milk next summer. All of my ads for stud sevice went unanswered so it looks like I have pets/lawnmowers for now. Anyone in North-Central WA with billy nubians?

My kid is bloated out, looking very wide and I'm not sure what to do about it. She is fed alfalfa hay and about 2 cups of wet COB per day. She had an overeating shot in the early summer, I'm not sure if that is for bloating, or if her diet needs changing, or if she needs anoher one.

I am worried that now that cold weather is here my goats seem very unhappy. They constantly whine and even SCREAM as loud as they possibly can. It drives me crazy! They act as if someone is trying to murder them! They have a great barn (though uninsulated), are well fed and watered, I don't know what the deal is. Maybe I need a heater for them? It was 15 F this morning. The screaming has driven me to have evil thoughts about them. Like goat steaks on the BBQ. They seem to hold me personally responsible for the short days and cold weather. I hardly heard a peep out of them all summer so I'm wondering what the hay?
    :help:

Thanks Nik

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

Well nubians are well known for screaming their heads off when they are in heat especially if no buck is around, and they go in heat approx every 3 weeks if not bred from fall to late winter.

3. wiman

wiman New Member

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

You know, you don't HAVE to breed them to Nubian bucks. Any goat buck with good characteristics will do.
    I now have many awesome mixe breed goats.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Nik,
    I assume they are on free-choice hay?? If they are dry and not pregnant I would try to find some grass hay or some grass/alfalfa mix for them. They really don't need alfalfa if they aren't milking or nursing. And grass hay seems to keep mine happier than alfalfa. That is a good quality grass hay of course.

About the doe with watery milk in one teat. Sounds like a mild mastitis case to me. Ask your vet about the mastitis treatment that comes in a tube and you squirt it up the teat. You would want to use the dry mastitis treatment if she is now dry. The treatment is for cows, but it works for goats too.

Do you know of anybody with a buck that is close too you?? You don't have to breed them to a Nubian to get good kids. Just make sure its a good buck, whatever the breed. I have some great goats that are Nubian/Alpine, Nubian/Lamancha, and Nubian/Boer.

The kid who looks bloated: Sounds like her diet is a bit too rich for a kid who isn't pregnant. If she is on alfalfa hay, I would cut out her grain, except for maybe a tiny bit as a treat. Or cut out the alfalfa and give her good grass hay and some grain. I wouldn't have her on a diet of alfalfa and grain. She doesn't need it, and it could easily make her fat which can lead to other problems.

The yelling I would assume stems from the does being in heat, or not having enough hay in front of them. During the cold months, I like to have grass hay in front of my goats 24/7.

6. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like your goats are in heat. My goats get really loud when they are. Nubians can be loud anyway. I always keep mastitis test cards and tubes of the medicine available. You can get both from Hoegger's or caprine Supply. Whenever a goat's milk or teats seem unusual, I test for mastitis. Have you wormed your goats? Kids can sometimes look bloated if they are wormy.

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have found that Nubians are the loudest breed. Almost any goat will holler when they see you, even if they aren't hungry. I keep Coastal Bermuda hay in front of mine 24/7 and alfalfa pellets as much as I can afford and just a bit of grain. If your goats should get too much rich food and you think they have bloated a bit, you can give them some baking soda from the kitchen mixed with some table salt (half and half or anything like that is fine, it doesn't matter at all) and they will lick at it and start burping right away. That's what I do anyway. I find if their bellies stay full of hay and I don't over-grain, I seldom have this problem...but it can occur....On the alfalfa pellets, I saw some posts awhile back where folks were talking about goats choking on them...come to find out, they meant alfalfa CUBES...what we have down here is little bitty PELLETS, they work great! Here in Texas, alfalfa hay is no good, hence the pellets. I guess I am rambling!....Diane