unripe pears

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Windy_jem, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

The trees at the other house have tons of pears on them...I don't mean one bushel basket either, I'm talking like 3-6 bushels on each tree! They're not ripe yet but it's been freezing here a bit at night lately...like 34 degrees F or so. What do I do with all of these? Pick them now? Leave them on the trees? And if I should pick them now, how do I do it? I mean do I put them in brown bags to ripen? Leave them in the sun on the enclosed porch? Leave them in the cold in the bushels? And if I should leave them alone for now...what do I do with them and WHEN?
    I have never in my life had THIS many pears! LOL
    Help??

2. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

Get them off the tree asap. Pears do not ripen on the tree. Store them in a cool place until ready to ripen. Use a brown bag to ripen them.

3. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Yup, you can throw an apple in with them to speed it up if you like.

4. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're into making cider, put those pears into the mix! Last year someone on the forum mentioned putting pears with the apples ( I believe it was a 3 parts apple to 1 part pear mix) and I have been doing it. We really like the taste.

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Also, canning pears when they're slightly under-ripe will give you good results. Check out the Ball Blue Book or the Kerr book.

Pony!

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Actually, you don't have to do anything special such as putting them in brown paper bags since that doesn't work well for bushels! For a number of years, used to get all the fruit off a very late-ripening tree that wouldn't begin to drop fruit until almost November. Even then, they'd almost as hard as rocks. We'd just fill grocery bags with as much as they could hold and store them in a spare room. When the whole house smelled of ripe pears, about a week later, they were ready for the steam juicer.

Today, came home with 7 grocery bags of Seckel pears. It's only been this past week that those pears have been dropping. Few have been on the ground long enough to mellow and sweeten. At the moment, intentions are to just leave them outside on the back deck for about a week before juicing. In the meantime, need to look for a good pickled pears recipe.

Martin

7. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks everyone! How do I can them? My hubby bought me the Ball Blue Book for canning but I haven't found it yet since we moved a few weeks ago!

8. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    If you try to leave them on the tree to ripen they'll just get fibrous and mealy. The normal way to harvest pears is to pick them green.