Unregistered Irritation

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by scottdoyle, Aug 31, 2004.

1. scottdoyle

scottdoyle Active Member

I am not one to stir the pot (unlike some unregister user if you know what I mean) but I am just wondering why an unregestered user doesn't register. Especially if they are going to be rude and insulting hiding as an unregistered user. This is a friendly forum as far as I have always read. You are welcome to your opinion and if you want to express your opinion fine but do it with a little respect. Registering as "Unregistered" obviously shows that you have an identity that you wish to hide. Here is my opinion, everybody should have to register to post. That way if someone is being rude we will all know which questions to skip over when we see a certain name.

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well, there is one person who has registered name is "unregistered". I'll bet he is the fellow you are referring to, as he DOES like to stick pins in people.

A very knowledgable guy, but he DOES seem to like to stick pins in people, if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

4. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

The way I look at it, there is a very big difference. A username creates a set identity - a cyberface that people get to know just as they would in real life. People read your posts, opinions and input and develop in their own mind a profile of who Terri or Chikin or caberjim is. "Unregistered" can be anyone. There is no consistancy to that profile as it can be and is anyone. It is the cyberspace equivilant of throwing rocks while hiding in a mob where you can't be identified.

Posting as unregistered allows you to avoid taking responsibilty for your words. To say things without any repercussion. Even if it is just in cyberspace, everyone knows who wrote this. That knowledge gives them the ability to continue to form and reform their opinion of "caberjim." If you don't like what I say, you change your opinion of the cyberme - just as you would if we worked together in real life.

Words are powerful. If you mean what you say and say what you mean, you should be willing to identify yourself as an individual.

jim

5. Chikin

Chikin Member

I don't think anyone should have to change their name. maybe they need to change it to where you have to register to post, or have it where it comes up as "Guest" or something like that and then make it to where no one can register as "Guest" or whatever. I think that would be the fair thing to do, but the administrators can do whatever they want.

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I think guests should be "read only". If anyone wants to post, they should be registered. Please don't ask me to change my registered name...it's the one I was born with!

7. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I guess the only repercussion of being registered as "Unregistered" is that at some point some idiot remark made by an unregistered user will be attributed to "Unregistered"--or vice versa. I wouldn't personally put myself or others in that situation.

8. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

It doesnt matter to me whether people register or not. I still prefer the old Countryside forum without restrictions. I still think if people hadnt got so excited the fellow trying to stir folk would have went away. However there are some people who just cant help but try and be annoying. And some people who cant help but be annoyed and get all worked up. And alas the old forum software was very vulnerable to attack so if some disgruntled person so wished he could try and crash whole forum.

On another forum on the political section of it, we had people arguing where it was guest vs. guest. Got very confusing especially with three or four anonymous "guests" arguing with each other. May have even been all one guy arguing with himself. And this was intentional since unregistered guests on that forum dont have to post under default "guest" label, they can write in a name for that particular post, it will just show as an unregistered name. I did that for long time until some horse's petute used my name. Then I finally registered. Then we got people registering as Guest1001 and Guest78z and other such. At least we could tell them apart even if it was rather annoying. The webmaster at that site finally required registration for the political section. Can still post as anonymous guest on help sections.

As far as being responsible, if somebody does something really malicious, they can be tracked down through thier ip number but can be dead end if they are using library or cyber cafe or using a non-registered back door isp account (yes there are ways to do this and some do this to steal unlimited free isp service) or free isp account with fake sign up info and a public phone. Being basically a very lazy person, I just dont see why one would do all this stuff, seems like a lot of bother for very little reward, but I dont understand a lot of things people do.

9. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

As someone who reads a lot more than she speaks, I find it very irritating to have to register in order to post on a message board. My instinct is to say nothing unless it serves to further the subject in some specific way. I don't flame, and I try not to post inanities. I may lurk on a board for months before I run across a post that inspires me to reply. It's truly a pain to have to go through the whole registration process in order to post one simple reply. By the time I've filled out the information, checked my email for confirmation, and clicked through the maze of "okays" and "I agrees", the thread has changed and my comment would be useless. I know that it will probably be another month or two before I have anything else to add, so the registration won't do me much good until then... If I'm still finding the message board interesting in another month or two.

I understand that message boards have turned into communities, with the emphasis on personal interaction and knowing one another rather than just trading thoughts and insight. (Witness the myriad of smiley faces available, which serve little purpose other than to add personality.) I understand that people in the community want to retain the sense of accountability that comes with registering. I just tend to feel that accountiablilty isn't as important as the freedom to be inclusive.

It doesn't bother me when unregistered persons post. It's no trouble to read one sentence of the post, notice that the author is being intentionally provoking, and then skip the rest of the post. I've read a number of interesting posts by unregistered guests, and find their thoughts are often refreshingly removed from the general pattern of thought found in the particular message community.

While I understand and respect the desire to know who's speaking, I personally prefer to allow the unnamed to speak in hopes of hearing something new and stimulating, rather than silencing all who will not name themselves first.

10. mesmerfan

mesmerfan New Member

Sorry to say this but it sounds like you guys are just bored.

11. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

And obviously you have lots of time on your hands that you would register here solely to make that comment.

Way to make a first impression. :no:

I truly look forward to reading your comments.

12. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

It seems to me that it won't be too long before you have to register to post anywhere in HT, I know that I am not the only moderator who has requested that Chuck change their board so that people cannot post unless they register. As far as the "unregistered' member I couldn't say cause I have not been involved in the boards he has been on.

Jennifer

13. scottdoyle

scottdoyle Active Member

Wow! My point was obviously missed. Caberjim on the other hand hit the nail right on the head. For all of you that had the chance to read the post which sparked my post in the first place, you will understand that what I am talking about is not a person choice in a name but a persons way of treating friends on the forum. Friends- that's what I am talking about. We have all been drawn to the forum by our common intrests. As I read the post it appeared that someone was trying to hide there identity and take personal digs at another member on the forum. I was very upset by this. You may ask why I was upset? Well my response is why are you not upset? Put yourself in their shoes. How would you feel if you were trying to talk to friends and someone started insulting you on a personal level. Anyway I am going to stop beating the dead horse and finish by saying Unregistered has since appologized to the forum for his action and I would like to say I am glad to see that you did. I hope that you have appologized to the person you insulted in a private note.

14. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I see your point, and I was part of that discussion, too. I have no patience for people who show up here and start puffing their chests, especially when their commentary is baseless, aggressive, and just plain rude. This community is not unlike any other community; first impressions are critical, and some people need to be put in their place before we can all move on. Lots of people have come in here on a very tall horse, and once a member or two had knee capped that horse, they became valuable members of the forum.

My last comment to mesmerfan was sincere; I'm interested in what he/she has to contribute in the future, and I truly look forward to changing my impression of him/her.

15. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

What is in an Internet name? Most of the people that come to this site are respectfull & courteous.I could care less about whether or not someone registers or not. However, Some kind of name does make it easier to tell who you're talking to.

16. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Aw, c'mon guys, it's FUNNY! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Yes, Unregistered DID do a bit of name-calling, which got his post (deservedly so) deleted. But, registering as "unregistered" is just plain FUNNY! (And, if you look BELOW the name, it plainly says member instead of guest).

17. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

"Unregistered" is a weinie's way out.

18. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

One of the things I have especially liked about this forum since I joined is that for most members heated and passionate discussions, then go to another topic a be genial and friendly with the same people. A few, the person responsible for getting non-registered posts barred from the poultry board comes to mind, step over the line and turn discussions into worthless hissy fights that ruin most such boards. Most members here seem to act more like a family that can have our little spats and then go on. I must admit, as others have seen on a couple of threads, I can get drawn into these fights myself when some comment pushes me, pr my beliefs too far, or if I feel they are doing so to someone else. For this I apologize to all I may have offended in the past (and those I no I might in the future :eek: ).

P.S. And if I do ever offend anyone, please either PM or E-mail me. If I stepped over the line I will not hesitate to apologize both publicly and privately if I am at fault.

19. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

To you all registering as variations of "unregistered", "registered", and "guest". Its cute first week or so that anyone sees it, but believe me, having went through this on another board, it just is plain boring and annoying after that. Nobody will take anything you post seriously. Wait and see. No skin off my hindquarters. You'll just have to learn for yourselves. Just as well register as "notserious"