unneutered dachshund

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by DONKEYTIME, Jan 14, 2007.

1. DONKEYTIME

DONKEYTIME donkeytime

My daughter has a dachshund that is not neutered. He is about 1.5 years old. when he was a pup, his shots almost killed him from a reaction, so he can't have shots anymore, which means that she can not take him to a kennel when she goes out of town. He is marking and pee'd all over my house including on my couch, so I suggested that she have him neutered but she is afraid he will get fat. She believes when she payed her other dog, that made her fat. Is there any truth to that idea, that fixing a dog will make it fat? Anyone have an experience with a dog having a bad reaction to vacinations? thanks!

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

OK lets start with the vaccination thing. Of course dogs can and do have bad reactions to vaccinations from time to time. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that several vaccinations were given all at once, though. The dog would most likely do fine with a reduced and extended vaccination protocol (i.e. give a DHPP shot with no lepto one week, come back 3-4 weeks later with the Rabies shot, and if he needs to be boarded come back a few weeks later with an intranasal Bordetella). Also pretreat the dog with Benadryl. But of course whether or not to vaccinate the dog depends on your daughter (and you since you have to watch him).

OK now onto the neutering makes a dog fat. Neutering does decrease a dog's metabolism but all you have to do to keep the dog from getting fat is decrease the food and maintain exercise. I have one neutered male golden (a breed known for getting fat) and I have been very concientious about the amount of food he gets. He is nine now and not fat at all. My spayed female golden is also normal weight.

Now the marking issue. Neutering will probably decrease the urge to mark somewhat, but since this is an "older" dog (anything over 6-8 months is "older" to me as far as neutering) the marking behavior will probably continue out of habit. If I were you and I had this dog in my house with his little "issue" I would give that dog absolutely no freedom-just like an unhousebroken pup because that is what he is. When you can watch him he needs to be crated or confined to a small room where his urinating can't do damage. When he's out he either needs to be on a leash or watched every second so that you can correct him when he starts thinking of urinating in the house.

I hope this helps.

3. DONKEYTIME

DONKEYTIME donkeytime

This is very helpful. Thank you so kindly and I will pass this information on to my daughter. I want her to neuter her dog for many reasons, as you will see in my other post.

4. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Neutering reduces the metabolism, but does not make an animal fat. people make animals fat by over feeding and under exercising. Have the little bugger neutered. It should help with the peeing, but is not a guaruntee to stop it
    GOOD LUCK

5. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had big and small dogs intact..males. They didn't mark in the house..why? I kept an eagle eye on 'em when they were pups and I caught the big dog marking ONCE..he was taught the errors of his ways and hasn't done since..he's now almost 3. The rat terrier was the most difficult pup to housebreak but he never did mark in the house simply because I kept him on a leash and made sure he went potty outside every hour when he was a pup..he learned to tell me when he needed to go outside and he saw me chew out the older dog for marking and therefore, I think he learned what NOT to do, lol.

Having an intact male marking in the house is a sign of a lazy owner, IMHO. I'm being nice when I say this. I've seen too many owners not focusing on their dogs when they're pups and they're paying the consquences.

6. DONKEYTIME

DONKEYTIME donkeytime

So you don't think the marking is established and will be hard to break? How much does not being neutered make a difference. Mydaughter says he does not do this at home--just our house maybe to show other dogs where his territory is. Has anyone had experience with neutering helping to eliminate this, especially an older dog?

7. chma4

He marks in your house because he is insecure. At home, he knows his house is his castle. At your house, he feels the need to prove it. I DO NOT think that it is simply a mark of a LAZY OWNER. I had a pup, male intact, that later became my stud. He was the easiest, most trainable dog I ever had. He was house broke by 12 weeks and rang a bell to go out. The first time I "used" him as a stud he then decided he needed to "prove" himself. He started marking and after a while, found himself a new home in my barn. i do not know for sure, but I can suggest that neutering is the best chance you have at correcting this. Not to mention all of the health benifits. Also, many male dogs have an "odor" about them. This will go away as well.

8. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

What??

9. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

He is marking because he needs to establish his territory in his new digs (your place). You need to really clean up his spots, use white vinager or a product made for such, like Nature's Miracle. You need to keep in a crate except for exercise outside. When ever he is out of the crate, leash him and keep him with you. He must sit and wait for you to open the door and tell him "out". Accompany him outside. Once he has done his business, jog around the yard. As soon as he gets ahead of you, change direction. Don't talk to him, just change direction. This keeps you in the lead. Depending on how much exercise you need, run him around like this for a while, then bring him in, making him sit and wait for you to say "in".

Stop feeding him. You read that right. Make him earn every piece of kibble. After he poops outside, praise and treat. When he lifts his leg on a bush (okay, blade of grass), praise and treat. When he sits nicely be the door, praise and treat. When he enters the crate, drop a few kibbles in.

Keep him on this routine for at least three days and see if he isn't a better behaved little doggie. Extend priviledges, allowing him loose in the house under supervision in twenty minute increments, then back in the crate. He has to earn the right to be underfoot.

10. DONKEYTIME

DONKEYTIME donkeytime

All of this is great advice which I will pass along to my daughter. i do hope he has him neutered for all of the reasons you all have mentioned.

11. chma4

If you don't notice the odor, you probably spend too much time with unneutered male dogs. Then again, I do have a nose that smells just about everything, unfortunately =(

12. NightmareRanch

NightmareRanch Well-Known Member

Some kennels will accept titers instead of vaccinations; call around, you may find one in your area.

Neutering may or may not help with the marking. Training will, as some posters have suggested, will help, or you can put a belly band on him, like a male dog diaper, when he stays at your house.

I live in a house full of intact male dogs and they do not smell any different than the girls. In fact, the girls are the ones who have a bit of odor when they are in heat. I have a very sensitive nose so I'd notice if I had stinky dogs, or even mildly smelly ones.

Jess

13. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

We had 2 intact breeding males living in the house for years and I have no idea what odor you are talking about... now the females in heat :p That's an Odor... LOL

14. chma4

Well, consider yourself lucky. The girls in heat smell, but the boys.....wwwhhhheeeeww! I just couldnt handle it. I use stud service now!

15. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Did your dogs have long hair? If so, that's probably because they pee on their front legs :rolleyes: I only have short haired dogs so they clean up after theirselves and if not then I help the process along. Doesn't take long.

16. chma4

I have cockers, and a weekly bath just didnt cut it. Any more than once a week and you would dry the skin out. Maybe it was the long hair? All I know is that when I walk into a house with a stud dog, I KNOW IT. To me its distinct, maybe I am strange?

17. doozie

doozie Well-Known Member

Link to a long article on Marking

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2284&S=1&SourceID=47

I dont know about un neutered males, but...

I have 3 Neutered Males, one will not mark and has made few mistakes in the house.
    Recently One decided to start Marking! I have no idea what set this off but, I have been working on stopping it.
    I know it is just Marking and not a full bladder thing, there is a difference between a few little sprinkles, and a puddle!
    1 will mark if the 3rd does it first. Kind of a game between them, and it is no fun!

I have resorted to belly bands from the pet store, not so good for my dogs shape, or OOPSIES from a seller on E Bay/ Search under Oopsies... (I do use a lightdays liner with them even though you dont have to)
    Since using them (About a month-2 Months now) I see my problem Male will usually wet only when we leave the house, and he is not crated..(My fault completely, sometimes I dont bother if I am just going out for 1/2 hour or so)

I have the opinion that if there is no previous smell from marking, he will eventually stop completely...So far I seen a tremendous improvement!
    I dont have them on him at night, and we are starting to leave them off during the day when I know I can pay complete attention to him, and what he is up to...It is hard to catch him in the act!

You have to really Clean, clean, and clean again any thing they have marked!
    Hope the article helps you.

18. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

That's a great article. Thanks.