Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,304 Posts
Dust all around the base of the walls and inside the cabinets with boric acid (made for roaches, sold in the insecticide section of stores.)

Also, place "Roach motels" all around everywhere.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
We used to pour boric acid inside the walls when we were doing rehabs and tearing interiors down to the studs. In badly infested homes, roaches will ruin outlets and lightswitches.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We talked with David Kirkman, with the Consumer Protection Division of the State Attorney General's office. "At some point, if it can't be taken care of, the tenant does have probable grounds to terminate that lease," said Kirkman.

He says landlords must make sure a property is habitable. "And that means it's free of any kind of roach, or rat or other animal infestation," added Kirkman.
This is what scares me about the government. Some overpaid idjit who has never rebuilt a house can use the overwhelmingly coercive power of government to side with tenants about something like this.

"free of ANY kind of roach, rat or other animal infestation" is crap. EVERY house in America has some sort of bugs or mice. Does that mean every tenant can simply break their lease because it's "uninhabitable"?

·
Registered
11,577 Posts
Dust all around the base of the walls and inside the cabinets with boric acid (made for roaches, sold in the insecticide section of stores.)
View attachment 95148

Also, place "Roach motels" all around everywhere.

View attachment 95149
For every roach you kill with something like the above, there's 100 that you don't see that won't be killed.

You've just learned a hard lesson. Now, plan on how you can move.

·
Registered
32,091 Posts
This is what scares me about the government. Some overpaid idjit who has never rebuilt a house can use the overwhelmingly coercive power of government to side with tenants about something like this.

"free of ANY kind of roach, rat or other animal infestation" is crap. EVERY house in America has some sort of bugs or mice. Does that mean every tenant can simply break their lease because it's "uninhabitable"?
Some recourse is due her situation.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cockroaches are easy to kill. Just turn heat off for few days in winter. They freeze right out. Of course so do all your plumbing lines. My first rental house was terribly overrun with roaches when I bought it. That winter while remodeling ( including all new plumbing) the heat was off for a week. Roach problem solved!
How cold does it get where you are? lol xD that doesn't work here (live in the desert). Our winters usually don't get below 15F and they may not be roaming the house in the winter, but they try to come back every spring/summer. Thankfully it's one here and there, not a full on infestation.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I agree you should move. To get rid of the cockroaches rent an Ozone machine. It will kill any bug in the house and turns back into oxygen in an hour. Course it kills any animal or plant also. Two or 3 hrs should do it with the right machine. Any place there is air ozone will go in.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I agree you should move. To get rid of the cockroaches rent an Ozone machine. It will kill any bug in the house and turns back into oxygen in an hour. Course it kills any animal or plant also. Two or 3 hrs should do it with the right machine. Any place there is air ozone will go in.
Interesting, but what about the cockroach eggs?

·
Registered
15,902 Posts
I'm asking for advice as I just moved in last week and low and behold, they have cockroaches here! Plus, instead of calling an exterminator so my things don't get infested as well, she orders propane from their bill for the last 3 month's and expects me to pay that and old charges she owes from maintaining her road. Already, I pay $550 of the $800 rent and I'm only getting one room.
So you are renting from a house hacker? There needs to be a clear and concise lease. If there is not then leave. Why would you agree to renting a room for that much? You have kitchen/bathroom privilege's I hope? Who pays for internet and cable? Water, electric etc? All of these need to be spelled out.

We really cant help you with local laws if we dont know the state you are renting in. If California you could sue and own the house and possibly all the houses owned by all of the kids and grandkids in the future as a renter. I Arkansas, just take your losses, leave and get therapy.

Not really trying to be a smart ass but we need more info to give you any decent information.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If I were the renter I'd get me some iguanas and not have to feed them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My mistake. After research, lizards eat them but not full-blown iguanas. A couple African bullfrogs could go to town as well.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Administrator
19,585 Posts
So you are renting from a house hacker? There needs to be a clear and concise lease. If there is not then leave. Why would you agree to renting a room for that much? You have kitchen/bathroom privilege's I hope? Who pays for internet and cable? Water, electric etc? All of these need to be spelled out.

We really cant help you with local laws if we dont know the state you are renting in. If California you could sue and own the house and possibly all the houses owned by all of the kids and grandkids in the future as a renter. I Arkansas, just take your losses, leave and get therapy.

Not really trying to be a smart ass but we need more info to give you any decent information.
It's hard to give much helpful advice when helpful advice has been rejected with, 'I can't' or 'I won't.'

21 - 40 of 45 Posts