uniball

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DayBird, Apr 30, 2006.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Our boer goat is almost a year old. Upon inspection today, he only has one descended testicle. I don't know how I haven't noticed this before. Now I'm not sure what I want to do. I had originally intended to keep him and breed him to our nubian does but now I'm not sure. I have the kinder buck and the pygmy buck so it's not like I'm short on bucks for breeding. What do you all think I should do? Try to sell him as is? Keep him and see if he's fertile (I'm guessing he is)? Wether him and eat him later? Whether him and try to sell him?

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

No goat with only one testicle descended should be bred. It's too bad, but probably the best thing to do would be to put him in the freezer -- as it. I think it takes surgery to castrate in this situation. He's young enough, and it isn't breeding season, so the meat shouldn't be strong, and if it is, make sausage out of it.

Sorry.

Kathleen

3. delphinium

delphinium Well-Known Member

Kathleen is correct,when an animal is cryptorchid (undescended testicle) a surgical castration is necessary to remove the undescended testicle as there is a potential for cancer developing. Also, this condition can be a genetic trait so, as she said, he shouldn't be used for breeding.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sorry about your buck. Did you buy him? Maybe you could trade him in? Good Luck. Bye.

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

He was given to me. Maybe I will just put him in the freezer. That's alot of goat meat. Who wants to help?