unfortunately, I don't have any questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kirsten, Jul 28, 2006.

1. kirsten

kirsten Well-Known Member

I am a writer and I have desperately wanted to post on here for a couple of months since I like this forum but unfortunately, try as I might, I can't think of any questions and thus, any topics! So I thought if I just start talking... something might come to me...LOL

I don't have any questions because... I own books and my vet adores me. He said I could even traipse my whole flock through his office to weigh them all come breeding season. I don't have any cooking questions, preserving questions, fencing questions, electrical questions, breeding questions, digging questions, watering questions, land questions, family questions, how to save money questions...no questions about laws, no bad neighbors, no ornery livestock and my sheep are adorable and spiritual. They broke out once and spent the afternoon at church sleeping under the trees and eating church flowers. They break out and run to church. Good sheep.

I don't necessarily see myself as a homesteader or a homemaker and while I hope to be able to see myself as a successful hatchery and rancher one day, I plan to hire people to keep the house, to keep the yards, to be my ranch manager, nanny if that ever comes up... My plan is to prosper in such a way that I can hire people. I have spent a lot of time in truck stops, writing and have met so many sad cowboys... (I'll be on the road preaching)

I was not raised in the country. I can't grow anything to save my life but I can raise living things and collect wild things. I do attempt a garden every year but something happens to it every year.... like weeds start growing in it.

Anyway, I like to start things, oversee things but give it to someone else for day to day care becuase it makes them happy. I always spend time with all my animals, they love my socks off, my turkeys and sheep chase my truck and my chickens are always with me etc.. Altogether that doesn't make me very homesteader-y. A homesteader by your seeming definition is a jack of all trades. But I am not going to be that becuase I don't believe that spreading yourself so thin is the way to be successful at anything. It seems then that you only accomplish a little of everything thus you get caught up becuase with ranching there is always a little of everything left to do. I have lists every day of things to accomplish and while I am wandering about doing my list, I see 20 other things that need to be done too and if I don't watch out, those things will ensnare me and get me off track. Too bad my dishes don't have the sweet faces of my lambs or the mop the happy energy of my dog or the dust rag the devotion of my chickens... At any rate and lastly, I hope, it seems good to employ people, to give everyone their tasks to do and then everything gets done under the watch of many eyes and the labor of many hands. I suppose that is why you guys have children.

Aha! I finally found a topic. I went through our family history book the other day with my grandma and it was so weird becuase the whole book back to the 1600's read" and she had 10 children and died at 36...." Or 8, 9, 11, 12, 13 and died at 41, 45, 37... etc... By 36, my grandmother's mother had gone through about 13 pregnancies and after the twins the doctor said, have no more babies or you will die. She got pregnant and she died as soon as the critter was born. I remarked upon all these women dying from having kids and dying young, not a one of them made it past 50 years old! and my grandma said, "they worked them to death and they screwed them to death." So you see, that is actual homesteading, killing your wives.. that is the actual country and that is our history and your forefathers killed your foremothers and so on. And what is to account for that, really? have 5 accidents rather than not care and kill your wife who dies a little faster by the pregnancy? It makes me mad but real homesteading can be measured by the women and how long they lived. We don't feel that at this point so you may find this disquieting becuase we don't kill our wives in the same ways these days and things are a lot easier with technology but the people who came before you and did the harder version of what you are doing croaked a whole lot faster. In every generation, women are forced to do everything men do and then all the women stuff too. God made them stronger in an undeniable way and I am no feminist either. I wish, for my line of business, that God had made me a man, how much easier it would be...

So there you go, my first homesteading topic although we are so far removed from actual field work that I don't think it will really impact us the way it should, these lessons of the past of women bearing children and hitting the fields the same afternoon and all of that together killing them off in their youth. And while I was raised in the city, I am the first of my generations to be so.

kirsten
    harmony ranch

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Have you considered a caffeine adjustment?

3. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Yep, I believe you. :p
    If you pull those weeds out, then the good stuff might grow. :rolleyes:

4. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Hello kirsten!

In every generation, women are forced to do everything men do and then all the women stuff too. God made them stronger in an undeniable way and I am no feminist either. I wish, for my line of business, that God had made me a man, how much easier it would be...

As a woman I am never forced to do anything. I do the farm thing because I truly enjoy it and because in this day and time If your ever going to have anything It takes 2.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Writing is a good profession for a person with an agri-business. It helps to balance the physical stuff out.

We ALSO have a lot of family history, and have you noticed how YOUNG the men were when THEY died?

That happens when there is no good health care. The loss of the female relatives wasn't all because of over work and babies. When my Grandfather had heart problems when he was in his 80's, my parents practically had to DRAG him to see a doctor! He didn't think they would do him any good, and when you look at the state of the art when he was born in the late 1800's I can certainly see why! Since he had always avoided doctors, he had never realized how medicine had changed!

6. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

LOL!!!

7. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

Kirsten posted at 2:55 AM...I think she needed a nap about that time instead...LOL

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Writer? or Rambler? or Dreamer?

Hope you have deep pockets to pay all those people to work for you! Unless of course you'll hire illegals and don't get me started on that topic!

And as a woman I do have alot of responsibilities...none of which I was forced in to....but I didn't have children so I could pay someone else to raise them, I didn't get animals without realizing the daily committment...

May you never have to clean up baby vomit, poopy diapers, or reach inside a cow or goat or sheep during a difficult delivery. :rolleyes:

9. PineRidge

PineRidge Well-Known Member

Anyway, I like to start things, oversee things but give it to someone else for day to day care becuase it makes them happy.

They don't do it for happiness, they do it for money.

At any rate and lastly, I hope, it seems good to employ people, to give everyone their tasks to do and then everything gets done under the watch of many eyes and the labor of many hands. I suppose that is why you guys have children.

I can't think of one person who has had children to make things easier, and personally this offends me in ways which my language would be innapropriate for this forum.

I liked your first two paragraphs, but the rest....well, why did you post it?

10. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I'll never understand why people who have children for their nannies.

By whose definition? Not mine. Look at a bigger picture. You're lumping a large group of people into an inaccurate definition.

Did you just tell the homesteaders here that they're unsuccesful?

No, it's not. Children create more work for their parents. They're not a convenience. They're not hired hands. They're real people, not just something to hand over to the nanny.

What was your real reason for posting this here?

11. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

She has 315 post - she surely has thought of something to say before this one.

Hugs
    marlene

12. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

I am a writer and I have desperately wanted to post on here for a couple of months since I like this forum but unfortunately, try as I might, I can't think of any questions and thus, any topics! [/I

That's OK, I don't have any answers.

13. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

I don't see a thing wrong with prospering in what you're good at so you can hire someone who IS good at those things you aren't, to help out with the lifestyle you enjoy. Ranchers commonly hire for the tasks they can't do by themselves. That's why cowboys were invented!

That isn't how I'd handle things personally, I was just born a jack of all trades and now have a partner who was also. How lucky can you get??

14. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Chuck!!!!!!

Chuck!!!!

Are you there Chuck?????

Breaker 1-9, Breaker 1-9, This here's rw huntin' Chuck the post deleter. Come back Chuckie!!!!

"Go Ahead for Chuck".

Yeah Chuck, seems we got us a rambler here. She's a-posting stuff that don't please us and we can't figger out if she's smoking peyote or not. Can you move that post to post-purgatory fer us, now? Come back....

15. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

Ok... I'm really REALLY holding back on this one... So many comments want to slip out but I'm promising myself I'll play nice....if nothing else it was a wonderful chuckle for the morning...... Rose you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your response. There just HAS to be some tongue in cheek humor here right? I mean why would you go on a homesteading site...where the majority of people here are working towards self sufficiency (read into this as not having others do all the work for them and finding it rewarding) etc. and basically mock it. Now of course everyone is entitled to live their lives in a way that makes them happy....and if this makes her happy then so be it and more power to her...however I just feel it's kind of an odd forum to express these particular "thoughts". :shrug:

16. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

ok ..I,m awake now.I feel I have been touched by the hand of omnipotence.Now I know now,what I\m doing wrong..I,m doing this stuff myself..well ,cept for the baby stuff..My other half did that...and left 3 months later(alone)..that was 15 yrs ago and my boy Zeke is none the worse because of it..Altho he drives me crazy sometimes.Maybe she just started something and left it for me to finish.hmm..Is it done yet?
    Gord in BC

17. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Go click on her name, and pull up all her posts.

They are mostly in the animal forums.... but some in other forums, like Country Families, talking about city people raising Country and vise versa...

But the tone seems different to me.... doesn't add up.

Go read for yourselves and see what you think.

Angie

PS: and I find it interesting to liking this forum, and then "slamming" the very basis of the people that post here specifically and HT generally.
    AM

18. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! [made my morning!]

19. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

That time she's spending at the TRUCK STOPS must really be paying off...

I guess to make enough dough to hire the housekeeper, the groundsman, the ranch manager, and the nanny, those cowboys must be REALLY sad....

(I know, I know, shocking.... I'm sorry, it was extremely uncharitable to post like that, but I'm usully so GOOD, I just slipped, ok??)

20. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You are a fiction writer I see.

If you didn't know it all , you would do well asking a few questions.