unexperienced homesteader full of questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Okanoganer, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Okanoganer

Okanoganer New Member

Hello, All Just thought I would introduce my self, been reading the forum for about a week and thought I would register. Made the big jump from a small mini ranch in Elizabeth Colorado to a small cabin on 60 acres of paradise in the Okanogan High Lands of Eastern Washington, and im loving evrey bit of it. :D Any one on the forum live in Eastern Washington? Just the forum I needed im full of questions. :D
    ,Shawn

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Welcome new poster, start with the archives, thousands of questions, hundreds of thousands of answers.

3. Pence

Pence Registered Snoozer

We live in central Wa and are moving to eastern Wa, about an hour and a half N.E. of Omak. Our house in central Wa is on the market. I grew up in eastern Wa.
    You're gonna have fun.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Never lived in Washington, but we spent a year and a half in Elizabeth, Colorado, and left some really wonderful friends there.
    When the company hubby was working for went bankrupt, we returned to Central Texas, where we bought a very old, stone "fixer-upper" on 91 acres.
    (For MUCH less than we were paying for the house on 2 acres in Elizabeth. ;) )
    Welcome to the forum.

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Keep a journal with pictures and sketches. Enjoy it like a new baby!

6. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome Shawn, you'll find a mine of info. on this site. We live in western wa. on 5 acres at the moment. We have been homesteading for 30 years now. We also have property in eastern wa. 105 acres we can't wait to move to when DH retires. :D
    Pence ,what county are you in? It sounds like your land is close to ours.

7. Pence

Pence Registered Snoozer

jassytoo,
    Property is in Ferry co. We're trying to move before winter, but it could go either way. Where is your place?

8. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Okanaganer, I'd love it if you'd tell us about your place. I'm in Western Washington and am thinking about the Okanagan or perhaps the Colville area.

9. practical-cat

practical-cat Member

Okanoganer,
    I don't live in eastern Washington, but right next to it...the western part of North Idaho. We love it here.
    Lisa

10. Peanut

Peanut Member

I live in the Okanagan...in BC though. :)

11. KatW

KatW Xander's Mom

Welcome to the forum! My husband and I are in western Washington for now (apartment homesteaders :)) but our "plan" is to move over to Ferry County eventually. We've been subscribing to the Republic News Miner (local newspaper) for over a year now and enjoy getting to hear about the happenings in our future home county. We camped out at Curlew lake last year and drove around the county exploring the countryside. Would have liked to seen more but it was super hot and we had our dogs with us, next trip no dogs.

We stopped at a gas station/store in Danville and asked if they had a map that listed all the roads, as our state atlas doesn't name all the little ones, and the lady said, "oh no, you don't need a map--- you're either on this road or that road". ;)

12. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We're clear across the country from you---our Old Field Farm is in north Central Alabama---but you'll find this forum to be the source for answers to most of your questions! Also, if you don't subscribe to COUNTRYSIDE magazine get a subscription to that as quickly as possible! The subscription price will more than be repaid in lessons you will learn and mistakes you WILL NOT make because someone else will have made them before you!

I've been "homesteading" for about 25 years now although we work our "money" jobs from home (I have a newspaper office in our living room for a fairly good size weekly newspaper!)....so much I have learned have come from this forum, the BACKWOODS HOME forum, and COUNTRYSIDE and BWH magazine! I didn't know ANYTHING about raising chickens (and now I have 40 laying hens); I am currently raising goats to become dairy goats; and I raise Angora rabbits and now have a spinning wheel...so I am still learning learning learning!

WELCOME!

13. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Hi Shawn,

You will love it here. I don't post often, but I spend hours reading the posts and I have learned to much!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome.

Charlee

14. jassytoo

Pence, Yep, land is near yours. Howdy neighbor :)

15. jassytoo

KatW, get yourself a Metsker map of Ferry County. That has all the roads on it. You can get one at a sportinggoods store or order one direct.
    Metsker Maps, 9616 40th Av.S.W., Tacoma, Wa 98499
    Tel. 206-588-5222

16. KatW

KatW Xander's Mom

Thank you Jassytoo! I just ordered a map online.

17. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Howdy! I'm just a bit west of you, in Whatcom county. The Okanogan area is just gorgeous. I make it a point to get over there a couple times in the spring.

There's fantastic hiking and camping around Republic, in case you haven't already discovered that!

18. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Welcome. We are sort of looking in Eastern WA. The climate seems so perfect.

19. bob

bob New Member

Howdy Neighbor. We're just over the hill from ya on the rainy side. Just joined this forum myself and love it.

20. dhodges

dhodges Member

Hi Shawn! Glad you made the jump. We've been "Hill People" (local term for Homesteaders in this country) for 30+ years but new to this country. Keep getting pushed on by town folks trying to bring their city lifestyle with them so moved here and this place looks good. Nearest neighbor is 4 1/2 miles and they fit the aforementioned slam and probably won't last another winter. No grid power here and winters can be tough depending on your attitude & fortitude. Have a small solar power system for evening lights and once or twice a week Puter. Cabin in progress and camping in the meantime. 20 acres about half steep but very peacefull, quiet and private here with plenty to do if you want to get out. Dave & Chris from FAR North Ferry County