Unexpected Baby

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TAdkins, Nov 28, 2005.

1. TAdkins

TAdkins Member

A friend of mine bought a nanny the last week of July, and didn't think she had been bred. Later that week He saw her stand for a billy and breed. Counting the days would put her giving birth the latter part of Dec. Well, to his surprise, she gave birth to a healthy baby billy Sat. Nov. 26. That would mean she was about 1 month pregnant when she stood for the billy in July. Is there a false heat cycle that occurs? I thought if nannys were pregnant, they wouldn't cycle again? Why did she stand for the billy if she was already bred? We're confused, can anybody explain?

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Yes, I belive that some goats will cycle once more after being bred. Probably causes lots of confusion though.... She probaby was in a heat, but not a receptive one.

3. TAdkins

TAdkins Member

Thanks Dona for your information. We're kinda new to goats, and this is our 2nd breeding. Seems like we are constantly learning something new each time. Thanks again for your response.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, they can certainly cycle one more time after being bred. I have had cows do this too. And I have even heard of goats cycling all the way through their pregnancies........ :eek:

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I don't know if ours go into heat when they are pregnant, but one of our bucks always seems to think so! So yeah I guess that they can, and I also heard that the reason that some bucks get so interested with pregnant does is because a pregnant goats urine smells the same as a doe in heat. See ya.