Uneven Udder

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatkid, Jan 4, 2006.

1. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

My Nubian, Rayna was bred to kid at a year old. In the last couple weeks of her pregnancy, her udder seemed to be coming in even. In May, she gave birth to twins (wethers), who we left on her. She was a good mom to them and all seemed to be going OK until her twin kidded a couple weeks later. The kids started to nurse off the sister as well as their mom and I noticed Rayna's udder starting to become uneven. I thought they were just sucking more off the small side , so didn't worry at first. When I thought I should test her, the small side turned the mastitis indicator greenish, so I treated her with Today. After completing the two dose treatment, her milk still wasn't coming back in that side like it should. I called my vet and he said it probably wasn't mastitis because the milk looked normal and the udder wasn't swollen, red or hot to the touch. He said to be on the safe side to do the Today for a few more days and to give her Nuflor shots as well. I did that and her milk never came back in. He thinks she probably has a problem with the gland in that side. The one side dried up and she made as much milk on her good side as her twin gave on both sides. She is now bred again to kid in March. I'm wondering if this is something her doe kids could inherit. I've never seen this before in a goat who didn't have real obvious mastitis. Have any of you had this show up in your herd?

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i don't know if that is inheritat or not. if this would be my doe, i would milk her a couple of times per day. in doing so i help to flush the bacteria out.
    i think the udder went uneven because the bucks would only nurse on one side.
    if she had mastitis in this half it could well be that she will never produuce on this side.

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We have a doe with an uneven udder. The previous owners milked her (with a milking machine) on one side, and left a buckling kid on her other side. Anyway, both sides milk fine, just more from one then the other. We're planning to infuse her with Dryclox or Pirsue when we dry her off; I've read that it can even out an uneven udder. Here's hopin'.

4. motherearth12

motherearth12 Member

I don't know if this helps you either, but I have a nanny who has one small udder and one normal. She always has twins and that is when i have problems. We bought her that way and there is no milk or never any signs of infection. She does however have a scar on it and dh and I wonder if she didn't get caught on a fence when she was a kid. Luckily I have a doe that usually adopts one of her twins and I supplement with a bottle if needed.

5. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Thats WEIRD! I bought a first freshener, bred. Turned out she'd never been worked with, and boy was she an unholy terror. So we let her raise her wether and not milk her (this time round) and he always nursed from only one side. Got to the point that she'd kick him if he tried to nurse from the other side. At weaning she got huge, and we worked with her and got her to stand on the milk stand and let us milk her. But she would always go NUTS when we tried to milk "that side". Finally I'd had enough, got the hobbles on her and milked that side whether she liked it or not (and WOW was it a rodeo). I got it drained, and found a little circle shaped scar on that half of the utter. Also the skin on that side was all dried out and wrinkly. Turns out milking it out helped, along with helpings of bag balm, but I wonder about that mark now. hummmmm ponder (Now all we have to do when she's being "dancy" is reach for the hobbles and she calms down in a hurry!)

6. motherearth12

motherearth12 Member

Its funny what can happen to a goat, some of the funniest things. Her udder is just shot, it doesn't get milk or anything. Thats not the strangest thing around here. We have a bull (cow) that urmm...has a broken (thingy). He has been this way for about 3 years and it does the job fine but its just missing on the end and you can see a little tube that hangs from the end. Its kinda gross but I thought while we were on the subject of the underbellies of our critters. My dh thinks that its just ok, it really freaked me out when I seen it. Anyone heard of this before?

7. midkiffsjoy

OMG HOW did THAT happen!!???!!! ackkkk (Im trying to laugh ...kinda rofl, except that Im really bewildered and yeah thats just kinda gross....giggle) MAN. Ive raised cattle all my life and never seen that (not like Im a dinosaur or anything) I'd ask my dad or grandpa, but theyre dead.....Wish I had someone older than me to ask for you. I'd love to know the answer!!!! giggle. I'll see if I can bug Mr. Sheilds about it!!!! giggle OHHHH GROSSS giggle

8. motherearth12

motherearth12 Member

very funny..hey if anyone is interested I can try to get up to the field tommorrow and take a pic. Seriously, its the truth. And we really just had two calves last week that are no doubt his. Glad that made you chuckle..I needed some cheering up...

9. midkiffsjoy

Its funny, and yeah Id like a pic....it just occured to me that the the local feed store is owned by a A&M grad who was one of my Mom's students (high school teacher) and TOTALLY does anything she asks of him so if he doesnt know what it is Im sure he would know WHO to ask. giggle. Im still almost gagging a little, but Im too busy laughing....darn you.....Im all red now.....grin.

p.s. If you need cheering up pm me. Ive been making people forget that they needed cheering up for years (used to make my little sis forget she needed to tattle on me!!!! giggle)