?Uneven Udder( What should I do)?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TroGoatPerson, Oct 7, 2006.

1. TroGoatPerson

TroGoatPerson Member

I Have a yearling Toggenburg milker who all of a sudden started to get a uneven udder. :shrug: The reason I'm asking is because I'm showing her along with my other goats and she hasn't been doing as well since her udder has been getting uneven. So what should I do?? :shrug:

:help: Troy's Acres

2. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

All of a sudden? Here's my story: Val, yearling Lamancha, had an uneven udder early in milking this spring. As we milked throughout the summer, it evened out to the point that you could hardly tell. The all of a sudden, milk production went down, way down, and the uneven udder reappeared.

Know why? She was self-milking during the day. My daughter mentioned seeing her and I said nah. Sure enough I caught her, so we are back to teat-taping and back to 1/2 gallon per day. Maybe your problem, also?

Vanessa
    near Nashville

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Does the goat have kids on her? This can cause a goat's udder to be uneven. When one of my doe's udders gets uneven, the first thing I do is check her for mastitis and treat that if necessary.

4. frogdog

frogdog Guest

Or if she isn't nursing, can her kid(s) access her in any way? I moved my kids into a larger pen that used cattle panels (the smaller pen uses 4x4" utility panels) and that same day, caught one of the does standing at the pen. The kid was crouched down with his head craned out one of the holes and sure enough, he was nursing. The situation was quickly fixed, but if I hadn't seen it happening I probably would have been asking a similar "what's wrong???" type post.

So, first...check for mastitis. If she's clear, I'd just tape her and see what happens. If the problem "disappears", you know that someone had been nursing...should be easy enough to figure out if it's a kid or her (possibly another doe???) It would be interesting to hear what the cause was once you solve the mystery!

Liz

5. TroGoatPerson

TroGoatPerson Member

How would I find out if she has mastitis?? :shrug:

Troy's Acres

6. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

the first sign I believe is the udder gets hard.