unemployment question

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Speciallady, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. Speciallady

    Speciallady Well-Known Member

    May 10, 2002
    It's too warm here and the heating and air business is feeling the brunt of it. Meaning, my dh is now only able to work 2-3 days a week. His boss decided to not lay the guys off but do the every other day thing, and the guys don't get paid for the time they have off. Can dh still file unemployment for the days missed? This is really going to hurt. I haven't worked all week and haven't heard about the other job yet. Problably won't either, I don't think I did a very good job of wowing them with my pleasant personality. :shrug: I'm going to continue to look for work while he's off.
  2. tinknal

    tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

    May 21, 2004
    Since each state has it's own rules, most of us here won't be able to help you. Your best bet would be to contact the state agency that handles this sort of thing.

  3. Herb

    Herb Well-Known Member

    Jun 24, 2006
    When I was laid off, the employer sent something to the unemployment office stating that I had been laid off and was eligible for benefits.

    I also had to be out of work for two weeks before I could go to the unemployment office and claim my benefits.
  4. MorrisonCorner

    MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

    Jul 27, 2004
    As an employer I need to remind you folks that "every other day" may be the employers way of keeping your husband on... but it may also keep him ineligible for unemployment benefits. From the employer's point of view if I can give you enough to keep you on (so not lose a good and experienced employee) I will. But in doing that, I'll also make you ineligible for unemployment... which is also to my advantage, because if I have people filing for unemployment my premiums go up.

    Basically, it is likely your husband is making slightly more employed than he'd be able to collect in unemployment. He also has half the time available to search for a new job.. but.. he can also say he is working, which counts for more than "not working at all."

    But generally one is not allowed to "double dip." Your unemployment benefits are reduced for every hour you work. That said, at least in VT, you can go in and apply for benefits, which gives you access to a wide range of job hunting help and services, puts your name on file as being available for work (many of our larger companies simply tap that file as needed), and gets you exposed to other social services you may be able to use (WIC, Doctor Dinosaur, etc). While you might not collect benefits, every week you don't collect moves forward, so you don't lose benefits either.

    By going in and applying you may find something better and more stable through the state employment agency... never collect benefits, but come out ahead anyway.

    But as an employer if I could keep someone on with enough hours so they couldn't collect against my unemployment insurance policy I would do that. They come out ahead financially (you do pay income tax on unemployment, it isn't a "free ride") and I come out ahead.
  5. fantasymaker

    fantasymaker Well-Known Member

    Aug 28, 2005
    IL, right smack dab in the middle
    In a lot of states they will figer your unemeplyment and reduce it by the amount he is earning in his reduced "employment" status.
    Since thats usually abity over half his past income itwould be iffy but you sure should look into it.
    Another thing to keep in mind is what Morrison hints at , that the empolyer may not like hubby applying for unemployment and then find a reason to "fire with cause".
  6. RachAnn in NW Okla

    RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

    Aug 27, 2002
    I know years ago my FIL was working and was also getting a partial unemplyment....dont know if it was something that the company did or if it was actual unemployment but it was figured on an 80-hour pay period and the hours worked were subtracted....so he would say work 40 and have unemployment for the other 40

    you mileage may vary
  7. hunter63

    hunter63 Well-Known Member

    Jan 4, 2005
    Wisconsin.. Zone 5
    Wisconsin you can apply for particle benefits, but if what you make is more than any benefits, your out of luck. Goes buy gross aganist benefits.
    Only way is to check w/unemployment office in your state.
  8. MarleneS

    MarleneS Well-Known Member

    Aug 21, 2003
    An honest application at the unemployement office has your answer. And likely a better one then the kind and thoughtful advise given here :)

    If you still wish for my knowledge and experience, Morriscorner pretty much covered it already :)

    Good luck,
  9. dcross

    dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

    Aug 12, 2005
    East central WI