Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
So in my last post I was going to move to my aunt's farm while she was living elsewhere. This is not happening anymore, and now my partner and I are looking at purchasing some 5ish acres of land in florida. We're looking at land that offers seller financing and I'm looking into a personal loan. I'm currently trying to figure out what costs I should consider for the personal loan and general finances. I was tossing around the idea of a mobile home as we don't intend to live on this property forever so I think putting the extra time and money into building our ideal home would be a bit of a waste at the moment. Anyway, so far what I have for consideration is:
-Installing a well (considering doing this ourselves and also collecting that abundant florida rainwater and probably filtering that for drinking)
-Potentially septic (also considering a composting toilet to minimize cost)
-Running utilities to the property
-Some of the properties we have our eye on need access to be established but are located at least adjacent to a street (we don't mind doing as much as possible ourselves obviously)
-Cost of building/financing a home (suggestions welcome, we basically just need a one room place to start and we can always add more later. Not opposed to building something small)
-Farm equipment (this is where my knowledge starts to taper, I know how to do things in theory but don't have hands on experience taking land from completely wild to pastureland and farmland so I'm unsure of exactly what tools we will absolutely need right off the bat and which we can put off for now)
-Cost of building a barn, coop, etc. As well as fencing (hoping we can use lumber from the property to do most of this)
-Animals
-Feed
-Start up plants/trees
-Possible soil amendments

And I think that's all I can think of for now. Please feel free to leave any knowledge you feel inclined to share!! Everything helps!

- Gina

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,388 Posts
It is very difficult to obtain a loan for vacant land. Some of the double wide mobile home places will work you a deal, but then your land is the collateral on the loan, and if they foreclose, they get the home back and the property.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is very difficult to obtain a loan for vacant land. Some of the double wide mobile home places will work you a deal, but then your land is the collateral on the loan, and if they foreclose, they get the home back and the property.
Sorry, I might not have stated this very clearly but we aren't looking to receive the loan for the land, we are doing owner financed land and the loan would be for equipment and housing and the like

·
39,388 Posts
Ah. Then on to the next issues....

Not every county will let you drill a well without a permit or have a non-traditional septic system. Shop for land carefully.

Check with the prebuilt shed folks for a idea of what a shell will cost. Check for used travel trailers. You need to spend a year or so building a notebook of information based on research.

Then get bids for the well and septic.

There is no way to give you cost estimates for barns and coops. They range from FREE, made from pallets to way over priced. Here's a small coop for $900. https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/large_chicken_coop_eglu_cube/
Not exactly my idea of homesteading, but hey.....

Reactions: snowlady

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also might have the option of using my parents camper on the property (as far as housing goes) so I was tossing around the idea of installing rv hookups at least for power

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I know I'll have to look around the area for price estimates, I'm mostly wondering what specifically to find estimates for haha. I think we have a pretty good idea but the true test is doing, right?

·
39,388 Posts
My water well set up cost $11,000, and I already the pipe in the ground.

My septic system cost $17,000, but that was because of rock.

I can buy a shed/barn for $10,000.

Composting toilets not legal here. Your residence MUST have one.

·
Registered
439 Posts
In our county you cannot put in a well, septic system of bring in power without building plans for a house and permits..no exceptions. So be very mindful of what you're getting and what you plan to do with the property before buying.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm a bit curious about the "seller-financed" and 5-acres part - mainly because I fell for something of a scam like that many years ago. The biggest concern I would have there is: have you actually seen the land? Not photos, or on a map, but gone there in person?

The 5 acres I ended up with was completely inaccessible and unusable desert property just outside Blythe (CA). I "returned" the deed but only after the deposit was deducted.

Not saying that's at all the case, but those two terms raised a red flag for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a bit curious about the "seller-financed" and 5-acres part - mainly because I fell for something of a scam like that many years ago. The biggest concern I would have there is: have you actually seen the land? Not photos, or on a map, but gone there in person?

The 5 acres I ended up with was completely inaccessible and unusable desert property just outside Blythe (CA). I "returned" the deed but only after the deposit was deducted.

Not saying that's at all the case, but those two terms raised a red flag for me.
The caution is understandable lol no I haven't walked the property yet but I have plans to do that before buying anything. I have however contacted the county zoning dpt and the property is definitely where the seller is claiming it is and it's not too far outside city limits - far enough to not be bothered by the city though! We will definitely be cautious!

·
Registered
744 Posts
It's a really bad idea. The whole thing, not well thought out and as you stated previously off grid living is not allowed in your state? Your water, septic, electric will cost you way more than you are anticipating. And if it goes south you still have to pay the loan back to your bank.
Run, don't walk away from this.

Or ask the seller to do the improvements before financing you, at the very least

·
Premium Member
24,328 Posts
Most important, check the zoning before you buy! You may have plans of living in a camper on the property but that might be a zoning violation in that area. Mobile homes might not be allowed by zoning. Be sure to check not only the county but the township as well. Check the 100 year and 500 year flood plain maps as well.

I know in my location you can do a few things on 5 acres. But to do what you want would require MORE than 5 acres besides the area for the septic. Our law is very specific and a survey would be required to prove you have MORE than 5 acres if there is a dispute.

You will want to check on what the real estate taxes are regarding any property. With no loan on the land you will be expected to pay the property taxes yourself. You might want to see if you can get insurance for any possesions and buildings on the property.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
OMG, insurance! That's why we landed where we did. In investigating moving to N. FL I found the insurance payments each month could be higher than the mortgage payment.

Obviously, we chose not to make that move.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@RJ2019

I never said off the grid living isnt allowed in my state. I didn't even mention my current state in this post. I just don't like the climate here and I want to be closer to my family as they near the end of their lives. Anyway, clearly this is not a fully fleshed out idea which is why I'm here, compiling stories of other people's experiences doing the things I know I will need to know. I also never mentioned how much I expect to pay for anything so I don't know where you're getting that from. I didn't even say what my timeline is. It seems to me you're being a bit condescending and assuming a lot while not actually being very helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OMG, insurance! That's why we landed where we did. In investigating moving to N. FL I found the insurance payments each month could be higher than the mortgage payment.

Obviously, we chose not to make that move.
Yikes I'll look into that! I'm a little biased though as I do really want to be close to my family as they near their end years. We'll see if the price is worth it.

·
39,388 Posts
Listen to the voices of experience. We really don’t need to know what you are thinking things will cost. :) This is because EVERYTHING that we have done over the years has cost more than expected AND taken longer than expected.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts