Understanding defintions for breeding

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Mar 27, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I understand some of them, such as PTA, however there are other definitions that make my eyes go cross ways. At altagenetics here is a sample.

http://www.altagenetics.com/Dairy/DairyG-AlList.asp?Breed=HO&Language=E

Thats the sires in the holstein section. But here are the abbreviations..

PTAM = Predicted Transmitting Ability Milk
    PTAP% = Predicted Transmitting Ability Protein %
    PTAP = Predicted Transmitting Ability Protein lbs
    PTAF% = Predicted Transmitting Ability Fat %
    PTAF = Predicted Transmitting Ability Fat lbs
    PL = ?
    SCS = ?
    MREL = ?
    NM$ = ?
    PTAT = ?
    UDC = ?
    FL = ? Feet Legs?
    TREL = ?
    TPI = Total performance Index
    SCE = ?
    DCE = ?
    CFP = ?
    DPR = ?

Where the question marks are, im not sure what they mean. It's easy to understand if you have a chart.

All calling Milkstoolcowboy.. Ever use alta? Curious what semen company you prefer as well. It seems if im going to get some decent semen is to get a semen tank, and find a reliable A.I. Fella.

Thanks!

Jeff

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm not milkstool but heres a little of what I know. Simplified version cause i don't think the whitecoats even know.
    PL is productive life, shows average days longer they stay in the herd
    SCS somatic cells, lower is better, mastitis resistences
    mrel milk reliabity how accurate the proof is
    NM$ - net merit dollers how much more money they can milk do not solely breed for this as you'll get some ugly a@#^ cows that are not worth a hoot ( been there done that)
    PTAT parental transmitting ability for type, estimates a young sires ability of type
    UDC - type appraisal trait for udder composite.you want a deep cleft to hold the teats under,shallow udder, central teat placement,high wide rear udder, important
    FL - type appraisal trait for feet and legs, actually I believe adds up several traits to show which bull can improve this trait, May not be as important in a pasture setting, but important in tiestall and confinement operations
    TREL is the reliabity of type proof
    SCE and dce is a calving ease evalution without looking for sure, you generally would like someone under 10%(difficult births) for first calf heifers
    The next two are about daughter pregnancy rates or basic fertility.

Alta has many good bulls for Holsteins. I pretty sure most of your holsteins are Canadin or Semex genetics. These cattle are selected for the commercial dairymans operation, Canada is known for correct type. All things are dependent on your personal views. Taurus offers New Zealand genetics that are based on fertility and pasture based systems. Cattle breeding is definately a challenge. But definatly get trained in AI and get a tank, much much much better and safer than a bull for a small herd.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Thanks! Now when I look at their list, I know what they mean. Yeah, whenever a school pops up around here, somewhere. It would be very handy to know, because relying on someone to breed your animals can get you frustrated. Especially when they have these "Call before this time to schedule for morning, etc". I'll post all of their Sires tonight, curious where they came from, some are from Select Sires.

Jeff

4. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

I use mostly Select Sires bulls, along with Foundation Sires. Select carries Foundation bulls in Canada, do they have an agreement in the US too? We have a lot of older daughters of Semex bulls but our Select technician gives much better service. I also occasionally use Genex, ABS or Alta, and the odd private bull. Canadian proofs have even more numbers on them.

5. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I know someone who is trying to find pictures of 2 bulls. Sooner centurion and Sailorboy boomer sooner, both jerseys. We have both found plenty of pictures of daughters but want to eyeball the actual bulls.

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Here are the sires of the cows, curious what company sells these.

Amnesty = Gaige eland thunder-et/USA 132963954 (91ho4574) TV
    Jenel = Heather Holme Velvet/ Can 9358202 (202h0231) TV TL
    96% Indus = Laclar Mtoto Anando/USA 132889012 (7ho7683) B/R TV TL
    Turks = Budjon-JK Sky Enforcer-ET/USA 132183246 (7HO7505) TV
    Beachnut = Ocean-View Extra Special-ET/USA 131410819 (7ho7459) TV TL
    96% Poppy= Braedale Spy-ET/CAN 6860836 (200ho3071) B/R TV TL
    93% Spitfire = Quiet-Brook-D CNV Beethoven <-- that is a sire from the farm I bought these first 10.
    Thea = Braedale Spy-ET/CAN 6860836 (200ho3071) B/R TV TL
    93% Aquila = Paradise-R Cleitus Mathie/USA 2080263 (7ho3707) CV TL
    Fame = Den-K Marshall CK Perry-ET/USA 132253114 (7ho7605) TV TL
    Kahlua = Comestar-Outside-ET/CAN 6026421 (73ho2479) TV TL
    B/W Speedy = STBVQ Rubens-ET/CAN 5844883 (70ho969) RC TV TL
    R/W Fido-Red = Same sire as Speedy, speedy is Black and white..
    Sassy = Cityview Blockbuster-ET/CAN 9351019 (11ho7455) TV TL

Fido is a red holstein, speedy is black and white, thats what the R/W is. Fame is a twin, her PTPI is +1572M.

Jerseys...

Opal = WF Brook Bomber/USA 110021067 76JE119
    Blitzen = BW Legion/USA 110226426 7JE696
    Reba = Amity's Bold Boston/ USA 110283368 1je2026
    Echo = Same as Reba.. The sire is from the farm, I bough these 4.

There ya have it, bunch of info.

Jeff

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Penlow Georgette Outside VG-89-3yr-CAN

The lady who sold me Kahlua, said she would have an awesome udder, I figured as much. Kahlua's dam is a VG 85, so she has some serious potential to be up there. If her udder turns out as good as it may, she might go to the fair with me. She has two distinct qualities judges like, from what I see. Broad stance, and a wide muzzle. Kahlua has both, deep body too, hmmmm maybe ill take her in August! Then again, shoulders aren't sharp.

Here is Amnesty's sire, and thunders dam.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amnesty's dam was classified 83.

Beachnut's dam is classifed as VG 85, this is her sire.
    http://www.selectsires.com/dairy/7HO07459EXTRASPECIAL.pdf

After looking through the papers, and looking at the different values, some of these will need improvement. Some aren't 100% RHA. Either way, that outside bull is impressive.

9. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Jeff
    MOst of the sires are more for type than production, and are carried by Semex. Rubens is well known for the showring and is the premier Red and white sire( though he is BW) EX SPecial hails from the ocien view herd in CA very popular young sire that will be getting a proof in the next year. Outside is hot even though he is an old bull, very popular sire for type. There are a few good spy daughters that are out and about. Enforcer , a select sires young sire, hail from WI from the Elgence cow family that is well known in the show ring and for transmitting that success in the offspring. MOst the 70's and 200;s are from semex, 7 is select sires stud code Somewhere you can search for the stud codes do a google for Naab ( national assoc. of animal breeders) or Holstein world. The Holstein foundation also has an excellent guide book for understanding the genetics and judging.