Underground rabbit cages

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Cyngbaeld, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

2. Truckinguy

Truckinguy Well-Known Member Supporter

That's very cool. Kind of a cross between cage raising and colony raising.

I wonder if they can eventually dig through the clay pots underground and escape.

3. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, wow! What a fascinating idea!

I once saw a plan for a cage at front and an underground "burrow" built into the side of a bank with stonework as a retaining wall... but it would require just the right place.

Thanks for posting this, Cyng! :bouncy: Guess what my bedtime reading is going to be!

4. Cyngbaeld

You are welcome! I was plumb tickled to find it.

I think the pots are actually lidded containers. I first thought they were like our flower pots turned upside down, but they are more like lidded urns.

5. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

FASCINATING!!!!!
    and I don't say THAT very often!!!

6. tmfinley

tmfinley Well-Known Member

AWESOME! My husband and I were just talking about figuring this very thing out yesterday! I can't wait to show it to him this afternoon. Thanks for posting it!

Tiffany

7. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Thanks! I printed that off! I had been trying to think of some way to do something like that -- now I have an idea how to do it. I think I'm going to make chicken-wire cylinders and coat them with cement (ferrocement), then build lids.

Kathleen

8. Cyngbaeld

Kathleen, I was thinking of that and also of earth bags with cement stucco.

9. monsoon

monsoon Well-Known Member

Great find. I read Rabbit Production and they had one picture in there for a rabbit dome. I searched for a long time and never found one online. I would love to do something like this. I'm reading this at work tonight.

10. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

This is fascinating stuff! Thanks Cyng.

I've been wondering about something like this myself. But I keep running into the fear of fireats invading anything placed underground. I know there are poisons, but I don't like using any if I can keep from it. And ants could devastate a nest box of babies before you knew it.

Another thought, before we start moving the earth to accomodate these underground cells, have you thought of experimenting with insulated boxes within boxes? Utilizing woodshavings or something for stuffing the cavity between the boxes? I know that leaves out the cooling effect of ambient earth temps. But if I have to mound up earth anyway, I've lost most of the effect, right?

Gives me a lot to think about, thanks again for sharing.

Halo

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, when I saw that Cyng posted something, I knew it had to be good. Gonna print that off, too, and have a look at it this evening.

THANKS, CYNG!

12. Cyngbaeld

Thanks, Pony!

Halo, ants have moved into MY house overnight, more than once. They are as likely to get into an insulated box as anything. Right now my cages are suspended from a framework with wire to thwart the ants and that seems to work. I'm thinking on how to protect underground cages from them.

13. ajharris

ajharris Amanda

Thanks Cyng. I am going to try to figure out how to make one of these with what I have.

14. Freeholder

Thankfully, we don't have fireants in my location. We do have other pests, but if the underground dens are cement that will stop most of them.

Our place is pretty flat, so mine will have to be above ground and bermed (which will still have most of the advantages of being under ground, but less likely to have drowned kits in our Oregon winter monsoons). I've got some RR ties -- I think I'll use them to support the earth at the back of the underground dens, and the supported soil can be garden beds. Then put worm bins under the wire cages. Multiple-use is good for people with small spaces. (I'm trying to think of a way to integrate the chickens into this, too, LOL!)

Kathleen

15. GoatNamedDunn

GoatNamedDunn Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly about wild rabbit nests the tunnels are built to withstand flooding... so where they have the babies it is a higher elevation than the rest of the tunnel structure. I wonder how this type of structure can be modified to immitate that. Mother nature is ingenious and would take care of the flooding problem if it is an issue in certain locations.

16. Cyngbaeld

I'm in a flood plain. The floor of the den would have to be at least four feet high to be safe. Doable, but not easy.

17. Freeholder

Dig a pond and build an artificial hill with the dirt that comes out of the pond? You are right, though -- definitely NOT easy!

Kathleen

18. Freeholder

I'm bumping this thread because there's a good article over at SurvivalBlog ( http://survivalblog.com/ ) on building underground (or aboveground) den traps, and I though some of his ideas might be useful for our underground rabbit dens, as well.

Kathleen

19. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

How interesting! Great find!

20. Jasoneakers

Jasoneakers Well-Known Member

I did it the way a true redneck would.

[​IMG]

Behind my doe in the picture is a five gallon bucket. It is attached to the cage via screws on one end and another five gallon bucket on the other. I linked 5 in a chain. I drilled holes in the bottom for drainage. I buried them. So far its working well. The cleaning is becoming a problem as this doe will not do its business outside. Nothing a garden hose and time won't correct. Next one I'll build some access but this works for now.

Jason

ladymother likes this.