Uncured Bacon

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Matt NY, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

I put this in another thread, but often two questions only get a response to one of them.

Do folks eat uncured bacon? Any experience with this would be helpful.

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Sure, people eat it, especially in some cultures. It is called fresh side pork and can be cooked just like bacon.

Most folks don't like it as it's rather bland and tastes nothing like bacon. It is the brine and smoke that gives bacon its distinctive taste.

I remember a poster here a couple months ago that bought some "cheap bacon" in the local ethnic market, wondering what they could do to improve the flavor and make it taste more like bacon.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes it is good to eat. Slice it thin and fry it, draining off the fat that can be used just like lard if you don't burn it. Before we had freezers, my folks would can side meat, and keep it until summer when we were out of fresh meat, and the lard from winter sometimes started to get rancid. A can was opened, and we had fresh pork, and good fresh lard to use for cooking. In the canning jars, it looks almost like pure lard..

4. BillHoo

BillHoo Well-Known Member

Yea, I think it's also known as "fatback". cooked with beans so that the lard may add flavor. Bacon has more flavor though.

I've also been to some cheap southern buffets ($2.50 all you can eat) where they served fatback, sliced thin and eith baked or fired til crispy. sprinkle some salt on it and it can be rather tasty.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I usually grind it and spice it for sausage

6. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

Fatback is as it sounds, the fat on the pigs back. It can be rendered for lard, or cubed and made into salt pork. I occasionally have a slab smoked along with the bacon and use it like bacon, but it's mostly fat. (When you're out of bacon, it's the next best thing!)