Uncle Will in Indiana

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Haggis, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Hey Unc,
    A fellow down your way wants to buy two of my Milking Devon cows. I've been straight up with him about what I paid and any problems the cows have had, and he still wants them.

The hitch in the deal is that he doesn't seem to be able to find someone near LaFayette who will haul just 2 cows, and he hasn't been able to find a place where he can rent small trailer.

I was hoping that you might know something or someone down that way.

Haggis

2. Kirby Greene, MscD

Kirby Greene, MscD the Old Buck

Hi Haggis,

Couple of questions for you; do you have more Milking Devons at your place, and where in Minnesota is that place?

I live in the Western part of the state, just east of where the two Dakota's join... Have long thought that the Milking Devon could very well be THE ideal house cow for the small farm or homestead.

Kirby

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I have, just now, 4 cows, 3 bred(?) heifers, a 2 plus year old bull (soon to be freezer meat), and a 7 month old bull.

I live 65 miles north of Duluth; just a good stretch of the leg from the Dakotas.

The heifers are all keepers. Two of them will be trained for yoke by this time next year, and the third will be milked.

The two cows that I offered the fellow in Indiana are an 11 year old that aborted her calf a week or so back, and a 3 year old bred the first of July(at least she was in heat and hasn't been since).

I have two other cows that are both 4 year olds, both bred (I think); money could pry them from me but they're not for sale; if that makes any sense. Either of these two will make milkers but are not broke to milk.

The best looking of the two has a wonderfully shaped udder and fine long teats. The young bull calf is still nursing her but I believe my bull did his work around the first of June; she has not been back in heat since.

If you are interested in giving them a look, pm me for a phone number.

By the by, I had some trouble getting the registration papers from the person who sold them to me, but that has been worked out at long last.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Haggis, If things don't work out selling the 3 yo, let me know, I coluld give her a good home, and would trade guns, chickens, what have you.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have a stock trailer anymore, but there are many of them around the country. I'm not sure how he could get one to use. Might be able to hire someone to go up and get them if he puts an ad in the paper. Do you know how far you are from Chicago? It's about 120 miles from here up to Chicago.