Uncastrated male pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Bunni, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Bunni

Bunni Active Member

I have decided not to keep our male pig because of some of the posts I have read so what do I do with him. As mentioned below we do not know how to castrate him and I think he weighs about 200 or close to it.

2. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

ive castrated very small piglets. i dont blame u for not wanting to tackle a 200 lb boar. i dont think he'd stand there contentedly while u try. have u considered hiring someone who knows how?

3. Piece of cake! If you have a snout catcher/pig catcher (whatever they're called) simply have one person harness the boars snout and keep tension on it at all times while the second person does the business on the other end. As long as you are keeping pressure on the snout the boar will be more worried about his snout then whats taking place at the other end of him. If he takes a step forward just take a step backwards and keep that tension on his snout. He'll freeze up when you pull on his snout, giving the second person adequate time to do the castration.

Warning: Please wear ear plugs. If you have room wear 3 or 4 pairs.

4. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

That's a good idea.

My friend talked to an old man who raised hogs. When he got a big boar who was too large and ate too much, he would tie his snout to a pole in the middle of the pen. Then he walked around back and relieved the boar of his prize. He said it would squeal and pull, but mostly stand right there and let him work. Then the newly cut boar went on very shortl rations until he was losing weight and getting thin. After that, the old guy poured the good feed to it and it gained the weight back in a hurry, and there was no boar meat smell to the meat when he butchered.