Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 2 year old Jersey heifer that he does not want to breed. He justs wants to keep it as a pet. Will he have to deal with health issues in the future because the cow will never calve and be milked?

E

·
0 Posts
Jerseys can make lovely pets.
She is going to come into heat.
How tall is your friend???
Im 5'6" ..
I had 2 front legs of a young cross bred cow (size halfway between a jersey and a friesian..) arrive over my shoulder when I had my back turned to her. I didnt go crashing to the ground.. the cow was supporting most of her weight.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Does he know that she will come into heat every 3 weeks for the next 10+ years?

If she is his only cow she will be lonely. They are herd animals and happier with a companion of the same species. We have one milk cow, but she has he calf with her for most of the year and on the off time after the calf has left she is happy to get a break and prepare for raising the next one.

Claire

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
What a waste of a Jersey! :(

Has he ever tasted the milk, ice cream or butter from a good Jersey? Might just change his mind!

Heh, heh! ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
copesq said:
A friend of mine has a 2 year old Jersey heifer that he does not want to breed. He justs wants to keep it as a pet. Will he have to deal with health issues in the future because the cow will never calve and be milked?
That sounds like a VERY expensive "pet"...

-Sarah

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
It certainly is a waste!!! If he doesn't want the milk, he could raise up to 12 extra calves a year on her & she would love every minute of it. She will be miserable not doing what nature meant for her to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear Copesq,

I meant no disrespect with my last post. Just couldn't help myself. I still get a chuckle out of it whenever I think of it. Anyway, I have a couple of pet "cows" too. They're five years old. Ones never been bred 'cause I've never been able to get a bull or technician and her together. Not for lack of trying. I have semen in someone's tank right now, but no knowhow or AI tech handy (she's a 5-6 hour roundtrip drive away). All the bulls in these parts are distant too. Securing a trailer and hauling has proved to be difficult. Plus, they're all beef breeds and I want dairy. Bringing a bull to my girls isn't an option either. I use flimsy electric polytape fencing. It only works because my girls have been trained to it since calves.

Which brings me to Mabel. She's calved three times. I'm milking for the first time during this third lactation. She's bred because no fencing can hold her when a heat is on (every three weeks). She's gone through rails, electric, barbwire and stone walls to get to freerange bulls on the ranch "next door." I better add some of those fellas have made it over here too. Estrus and mating can be staggerly irresistable drives.

For me and the childrens school I'm associated with, pets are almost enough, but not quite. As I'm an organic farmer cow manure is REAL important to me. I often refer to my girls as the "Nutrient Enrichment Program." Meat and milk are almost (repeat, almost) secondary.

Wishing your friend good fortune, Phyl

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
Bdfarmer, The next time your cow goes on her honeymoon trip, send the spinster cow with her. Tie them together and get double the results. Those cows don't realize that beef bull isn't qualified for their needs. Maybe he's handsome?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts