Umm, silly question, but How do I use Fabric softner?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oilpatch197, May 15, 2004.

1. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Liquid Fabric softener, do I put it in the despenser when I start the wash cycle, or do I put it in the despenser during the "rinse" cycle?

2. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

It should tell you on the product. I personally, put it in during the rinse cycle.

3. RAC

RAC Guest

If you have a dispenser in the washer, and it is working properly, it is supposed to release it during the rinse cycle, so you pour the fabric softener in the correct dispenser, turn on the washer and walk away.

Older washers, and a lot of laundromat washers, don't have dispensers, so that is why they made those little ball dispensers--you can put the right amount in, start the washer, and it will release during that spin just before the rinse cycle.

Another way to use it is to cut up sponges into cubes, soak them in the softener, squeeze out the sponge, and toss it in the dryer with the wet clothes. I have never tried that.

4. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

If you have a dispenser, you can put it in when you start the washer. Otherwise, you have to put it in when the washer fills for the rinse.

5. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I did the latter, No despenser here. Cleaning house 4 A.M. CST in the moring, need to go to bed so I can get up to watch the Political Sunday shows(Meet the Depressed, Slave the Nation, and This Week with David Brinkley) :haha:

One thing I do like about the liquid softener, is it doesn't clog your Lint Filter as bad as the Cloth softener.

6. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

If your washer doesn't have a dispensor, little plastic balls are sold that allow you to put the liquid into it and right into your wash cycle. The ball releases the softener during your rinse cycle. Also I have poured the liquid softener onto a rag, straight from the bottle, and thrown the rag into the dryer. It works just like dryer sheets.

7. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

My brother is a plumber, and his take on liquid softener is "just don't do it!"

Apparently, over time, you get "buildup" and it can actually kill your washing machine. If you must use liquid, have a washcloth you use specific for this, and dampen it a bit with liquid softener (I crunch it up into a ball in my hand, hold it over the jug opening, and tip up the jug for about 5 seconds) and then toss it in with your wet clothes in the dryer.

If you hang your clothes out to dry, and MUST use something in the washer, a better option is plain vinegar in the rinse cycle -- does the same thing, and keeps your washer fresh, too.

Tracy