Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,193 Posts
My old mare became the babysitter with the calves while the cows wandered off to graze. There was one cow that she hung out with, too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yeah, I already have that! I volunteer at an animal rescue in town once a week. And she teaches me pretty everything she's doing. She has 20 horses and teaches me tons! And I got a couple riding lessons in 2019 (covid shut them down) so I learned lots from him too, and I am going to get lessons again this summer too. I also have quite a few neighbours with horses that I can always ask if I have a question, or a problem! :)

·
Administrator
19,737 Posts
Yeah, I already have that! I volunteer at an animal rescue in town once a week. And she teaches me pretty everything she's doing. She has 20 horses and teaches me tons! And I got a couple riding lessons in 2019 (covid shut them down) so I learned lots from him too, and I am going to get lessons again this summer too. I also have quite a few neighbours with horses that I can always ask if I have a question, or a problem! :)
That's a start to something but not nearly enough to start breeding.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah, I agree. I have decided that I am not going to to do that. I can't sell the donkeys. I thought I could, but we have come so far, I don't want to give up on them now. I can't sell them. So I am going to keep the donkeys, and buy a horse when I have the money for one.

·
Administrator
19,737 Posts
Yeah, I agree. I have decided that I am not going to to do that. I can't sell the donkeys. I thought I could, but we have come so far, I don't want to give up on them now. I can't sell them. So I am going to keep the donkeys, and buy a horse when I have the money for one.
I think that's a good idea. What are your ultimate goals for the donkeys?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
My original plan was to breed them. I don't think I can really do much else with then right now, so I think I'm gonna continue with that plan.
Dad just told me that our friend with the jack, is heading out of town in a couple weeks and needed a babysitter for the donkey anyways. So I think I'm gonna give him a call. See if I can bring his donkey over for a playdate 😂.
Vet said there was a drug I could give the girls to ensure that they come in heat for a week. So I think I'll also do that just so I know they're in heat while he's here. And then I I'll ultrasound then again as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My original plan was to breed them. I don't think I can really do much else with then right now, so I think I'm gonna continue with that plan.
Dad just told me that our friend with the jack, is heading out of town in a couple weeks and needed a babysitter for the donkey anyways. So I think I'm gonna give him a call. See if I can bring his donkey over for a playdate 😂.
Vet said there was a drug I could give the girls to ensure that they come in heat for a week. So I think I'll also do that just so I know they're in heat while he's here. And then I I'll ultrasound then again as soon as possible.
Why do you think you need to breed the donkeys? Just because you can, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

·
Administrator
19,737 Posts
Arranging playdates isn't within the vocabulary of a responsible breeder. What purpose is served by breeding them? Is your goal to have two more donkeys and does the world need two more donkeys?

Are you breeding superior genetics for conformation, temperament and a specific purpose or do you simply think it would be fun to have babies?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Arranging playdates isn't within the vocabulary of a responsible breeder. What purpose is served by breeding them? Is your goal to have two more donkeys and does the world need two more donkeys?

Are you breeding superior genetics for conformation, temperament and a specific purpose or do you simply think it would be fun to have babies?
If people bred dogs just because they have a female and the neighbor has a male without regards to type or quality or genetics, they would probably get run out of town. I don't know why this is any different with horses or donkeys. In the US, equines aren't food animals and it is completely irresponsible of people to breed them with whatever the neighbor happens to have.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I know that. And I do get that. I have quite a few people interested in buying mini donkeys, so I think it is a good idea to breed my girls and sell their foals.
If someone doesn't buy them. I'll just keep them myself!
And please know, I am not breeding them just cause 'the neighbour has a jack'. I have put a lot of thought into this. And I do believe this is a good idea.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I do want to. But I do know that I'm not going to be 'over saturating' donkeys or whatever. I don't think it is a problem.
I do want to have little foals. They will be super cute and I would love to start training them. I do not deny that!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts