Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Kay I just got to thinking about the ultrasounds again today. What would you guys bring with you?
Of course they're gonna have their halters on when I load them (we're trailering them in to the clinic), and I'll bring both leads. Is there anything else I should bring? I can't think of anything but I just want to be sure!

·
Premium Member
20,633 Posts
Hay nets and water buckets, and I always trailer with an extra halter and lead. Just in case.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
@Alice In TX/MO, of course! Lol! 🤣

@Lisa in WA, hmm, I don't have any extra leads or halter for them (that fit. I have a couple that are too small), I'll throw some twine in the trailer just in case though. And water, that's a good idea. It's been pretty hot here lately, they'll be grateful for that.

Thank you guys!! Awesome suggestions! (y)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just got back...neither of them are bred 😢 I was really hoping at least one of them were, but nope. Neither are.
Dad's got 2 friends both with mini donkeys that happen to be intact jacks though. ;) So now I have to decide whether I want to try breeding them again or not. It's perfect timing right now, spring is here. Vet said now would be the time if I were to do it, so I might. I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I really want to rebreed them, it's the prefect time right now, and it would be so much fun. But my only problem is that I wanted to buy a horse this year, and I think I am going to be super busy with a horse this year, and I won't pay a ton of attention to the donkeys. I dunno. I was also thinking of selling the donkeys and buying a horse. I don't know. I'm gonna have to think a lot about this! I have no idea what I'm going to do, there are a ton of things I need to consider and there is no way I am going to be able to make a decision so quickly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
A friend just suggested selling the girls, nd buying a broke horse and a broodmare. And breed the broodmare to a friend's mammoth donkey, and sell the foal. Your thoughts? I think this might be the way to go. I don't want to see the girls go, but maybe it's time.

·
Administrator
19,737 Posts
A friend just suggested selling the girls, nd buying a broke horse and a broodmare. And breed the broodmare to a friend's mammoth donkey, and sell the foal. Your thoughts? I think this might be the way to go. I don't want to see the girls go, but maybe it's time.
I have a feeling you're quite young and I'm not intending to hurt your feelings but what is your ultimate goal?

If you plan on breeding, you need to look at the quality of broodstock to achieve quality. Do you know enough about bloodlines to pick a quality broodmare or have an idea what a good quality broodmare is worth?

Just because the neighbour happens to have an intact mammoth jack and you happen to find a broodmare doesn't mean you're going to produce something worth keeping and Canadian kill pens are full of bad breeding choices.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have a feeling you're quite young and I'm not intending to hurt your feelings but what is your ultimate goal?

If you plan on breeding, you need to look at the quality of broodstock to achieve quality. Do you know enough about bloodlines to pick a quality broodmare or have an idea what a good quality broodmare is worth?

Just because the neighbour happens to have an intact mammoth jack and you happen to find a broodmare doesn't mean you're going to produce something worth keeping and Canadian kill pens are full of bad breeding choices.
I don't feel like anyone who is a complete beginner to horses should be breeding them unless they have a background in genetics and breeding programs or something.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Okay, that is legit, and I am definitely not taking offense to that! That was very well put! And you're right, I don't have any knowledge in any of that sort of thing. Which is why I have been kind of rethinking things a bit. It might be better if I went with a horse, and another mini donkey, or something like that! A broodmare is going to be a lot of work, and a lot of money, and I want to be able to ensure she would have a perfect life, but I can't do that right now. And I definitely don't want to be someone that is adding to the kill pen, that is just sad.
You brought up very good points, and thank you for your opinion! I really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
No, I want one to ride. A friend was saying that one might be able to be by itself though. I didn't think that it would be living with the cows. She said that they might become friends? I would prefer only having one broke horse, and he could just live with the cows and hang out, and I could spend time with him and ride him.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
No, I want one to ride. A friend was saying that one might be able to be by itself though. I didn't think that it would be living with the cows. She said that they might become friends? I would prefer only having one broke horse, and he could just live with the cows and hang out, and I could spend time with him and ride him.
That's much more reasonable.

·
Administrator
19,737 Posts
You're pretty stuck on owning a horse and that isn't a bad thing but I would strongly suggest you find yourself a qualified not buddies with great ideas.

You need someone to help you buy a healthy, sane horse, decent quality tack and help you to learn to ride properly, prevent bad habits and who can help you correct them when you do.

You also need someone to directly coach you on how to avoid the avoidable pitfalls like colic, laminitis and pasture injuries.

My strong suggestion is to find that mentor first and stop listening to helpful random advice from people who

21 - 40 of 52 Posts