Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2 mini donkeys that are going in for ultrasounds this friday, and I'm not sure what to expect.
Has anyone done an equine ultrasound before?
I got the estimate for the ultrasounds. But I'm not sure if they are going to have to be sedated. How often does that actually happen? Is it just standard practice to sedate them before doing the ultrasound?
Also, what can I be teaching them to do? I know it's a little late notice, and I should have thought of this earlier, but is there anything I should start teaching the girls? I think we could get a lot done in a week. I'm just not sure what to expect.

Any other information you can share about ultrasounds would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,248 Posts
No sedation necessary if your critters are well behaved.

They should be able to stand still when tied, tolerate touch all over, and tolerate mild pressure.

Tie them securely to a fence. Sack them out allllll over.

·
Registered
388 Posts
No sedation necessary if your critters are well behaved.

They should be able to stand still when tied, tolerate touch all over, and tolerate mild pressure.

Tie them securely to a fence. Sack them out allllll over.
Ultrasounds are painless. Sack them and let the vet go for it, he/she knows what is expect.

·
Premium Member
20,694 Posts
So I have 2 mini donkeys that are going in for ultrasounds this friday, and I'm not sure what to expect.
Has anyone done an equine ultrasound before?
I got the estimate for the ultrasounds. But I'm not sure if they are going to have to be sedated. How often does that actually happen? Is it just standard practice to sedate them before doing the ultrasound?
Also, what can I be teaching them to do? I know it's a little late notice, and I should have thought of this earlier, but is there anything I should start teaching the girls? I think we could get a lot done in a week. I'm just not sure what to expect.

Any other information you can share about ultrasounds would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!
What part of their body are they ultra sounding?

·
Premium Member
20,694 Posts
I believe the ultrasound is done rectally to see if a mare is bred. I’m guessing it depends on the vet and the mare and whether stocks are available.. Some vets don’t want to take a chance and I can’t blame them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeh I figured they go up the rectal and if they were bred, they will be at least 6 months in. Jack was with them from Sep first to end of Dec.

I just wasn't sure if the girls were gonna kick a fit about having something going up their butt ya know? 😂

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
I believe a blood test could be done to confirm pregnancy. That would certainly be easier than an ultrasound as you describe it, especially on a mini donkey. Check with the vet?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I thought too. A blood sample, or a urine sample maybe. But I checked with the 2 vets in my area, and neither of them can do a blood or urine sample. So ultrasound was the only other way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Forgive me for asking, but why are you trying to confirm pregnancy? If they were with the jack for more than three months (Sept thru Dec), and you have seen no signs of heat, most likely they are pregnant. If they were my donkeys, I would not subject them to this procedure unless it were an emergency, but that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
20,694 Posts
Forgive me for asking, but why are you trying to confirm pregnancy? If they were with the jack for more than three months (Sept thru Dec), and you have seen no signs of heat, most likely they are pregnant. If they were my donkeys, I would not subject them to this procedure unless it were an emergency, but that's just my opinion.
Or the cost.
Seems kind of beside the point if they haven’t come back into heat at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a good point. But I am actually not sure if they have came in to heat or not. Sometimes I think they have, and then other not. The Jack was much smaller than the girls, and I never saw them connect, so I just want to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Whose safe side -- yours or the donkeys? What do you have to gain by putting your donkeys under sedation and shoving a camera up their butts? I believe you are placing your foolish curiosity ahead of your donkeys' well-being.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,248 Posts
Take a chill pill.

They aren’t going to sedate them. I have done pregnancy checks on cattle, horses, etc. The donkeys will be momentarily startled.

Geez, folks. They are her donkeys. Maybe she wants to be available to help if there are birthing issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Take a chill pill.

They aren’t going to sedate them. I have done pregnancy checks on cattle, horses, etc. The donkeys will be momentarily startled.

Geez, folks. They are her donkeys. Maybe she wants to be available to help if there are birthing issues.
Thank you!! I am only doing this to ensure their health and safety. Yes I want to know if they are bred or not, cause honestly I'm not sure. And I want to know if maybe they have twins in there, cause if they do, I'm gonna have to monitor them much more closely, and I'm gonna have to decide what I'm gonna do. Whether I'll leave both foals with her, or pull one right away to give the other a fighting chance (I realize that it also depends on how healthy the foals are - something I'll not know until they are born, but I do still need to think about options). I need to know how far along they are in the pregnancy to give me a better estimate of the foaling date so I can start to prepare for it.
Also, I'm not gonna wait for another 6-8 months just to find out they weren't bred! Cause I have 2 friends with studs that I can use. And the sooner I could get them bred, the better.
I realize that this is going to be super uncomfortable for the donkeys, and that is why I started this thread in the first place. I wanted to know what I could do to make it less uncomfortable for them.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts