Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would sure appreciate hearing from those who've had ( or have ) ulcers.
How did you know? What symptoms did you have and for how long?
Did any over the counter meds help you. Or any prescription drugs?
What other treatments or life style changes helped?
Are you well now? If so, for how long?
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Stef

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I've had ulcers off and on for most of my adult life. My ulcer pain is characteristic, it feels like a live coal in my stomach. It is a very strong, burning ache. Sometimes they would get so bad I could not keep down water but vomited all the time. Pain eventually got so bad once I could not walk upright. Went to the Dr. and he diagnosed ulcers, gave me a prescription for a strong dose of Tagamet and an antibiotic. Recent research indicates that ulcers are often caused by a bacterial infection. The Tagamet relieved most of the pain within a few hours, and it took about two weeks for the ulcers to heal. I usually get one when I am under severe stress or my immune system has been depleted by something like the flu or a cold that lasts for a long time.

ETA, if you have an ulcer, don't mess around trying to find some herbal cure. Ulcers can perforate your stomach and you'll end up in surgery.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, RG. Did you ever experience a feeling of heat in the back of your throat and/or severe bloating?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I have had ulcers off and on since the age of 16, and acid reflux since soon after that.
The prescription "protonix" helped for a time. Pepcid complete isn't bad if you must use OTC.
The best are lifestyle changes and they will be harsh at first, but well worth it in the long run. NO caffeine nor artificial sweetners (except splenda seems ok). I use this method and I am now pain free 8 out of 10 days with these changes. I did suffer severe headaches at first because I was so addicted to caffeine. It was worth it. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Stef--see a doc. They'll likely give you a few weeks of antibiotics, pepto bismol, and protonix or a similar drug. If your ulcer was caused by H. pylori, this will cure the problem until you get re-exposed to H. pylori. Most commonly exposure is due to untreated well water, so it is fairly common in homesteaders.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Left untreated it can result in a perforation, which can result in death via infection or more commonly out of ulcer-related deaths, death due to a rapid gastric bleed. Most people never develop such complications but because you *can*, it is best not to punk around with an ulcer if you think you have one.

·
being a Mrs. is an honor
541 Posts
Hey there;

I have had ulcers on and off since age 5 (40 +years...) sometimes they are bad, sometimes just annoying. Other times I can go years w/ no flare ups, then...OW!!!!

But after having an endoscopy to rule out anything worse this time, my MD said to keep coming in esp. when symtoms were bad (the knife in the back, vomiting, I really think I am going to go crazy pain) because as we gals age, sad to say, Heart Attacks can mimic gastric ailments. Also, there's gall stones that can produce similar symptoms as can diff. pancreatic problems.

There are special diets and many medications that do indeed cure the ulcers. I did go to an acupuncturist this time for treatment and herbs (once I was certain it was ulcers and not something else) and that semed to 'cure' it much quicker.

BUT, really, see your md...not to scare you but my brother in law thought he had indigestion and had put on a few pounds ... he is now in the final stages of stomach cancer...that could have been treated had he taken the time to go in, rather than 'tums' it for years...(he also is an affirmed non-veg eater, non-fruit eater, loves his BBQ and is quite the smoker and drinker; or was til March...)

better safe than sorry...
Bonnie

·
Registered
865 Posts
You need to go to the doctor to see if it is caused by H. Pylori.

I LOVED Protonix!!! I had overactive acid production caused ulcerations and it cured it with 1 dose. I had doubling over pain. I could not walk from it radiating through my stomach and back. I also was nauseas and could not eat without the excruciating pain. When they did the endoscopy the next day the pain was gone and they could only see a small area around my pyloric sphincter.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of course you were right; I needed to go to the doctor.
He put me on Prevacid, Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin.
Been on them for a little over a week now and am feeling 60% better.
But have to be very careful about what I eat.

Thanks all for your responses.

p.s. have you ever been on Clarithromycin?

It creates a bitter aftertaste, doesn't it!

Stef

1 - 10 of 10 Posts