Uh oh ground pork dilema

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ross, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A problem of plenty! I ordered 40 pounds of lean ground pork in 2 lb packs from my butcher. Some how I ended up with 80 pounds of lean ground pork in 1 pounds packs instead! Well the 40 pounds was slated for Torteire meat pies, and I'm thinking twice as many will sell just fine too but what else can I make with ground pork?

2. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

I use it mostly the same as hamburger, except my husband doesn't like it as much for burgers.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Get some fat and add to the lean along with seasoning and make sausage.

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep sausage! Smoked! A friend of mine made some deer sausage last year.I hadn't eaten any home made deer or pork sausage since my grandfather past aways 20+ years ago.(he made it a little to hot/spicy :eek: )
    Well my buddies was seasoned perfectly.And smoked to the hilt.So smokey i thought it had been done in a smoke house.Next time i seen him, i commented on how good it was and perfectly smoked.He said he did it in 30mins. in his smoker grill. :eek: Now theres a use for a smoker i hadn't thought about.

Wonder how hard it is to make polis sausage to.I love that stuff!

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Freshly cooked sausage , scrambled eggs with salsa , biscuits with fresh butter , fresh coffee , and cinammon rolls for desert . Doesn't get any better except when you get to play hide and seek with the Cook , fordy... :eek: :)

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

:haha:

Sounds pretty good. Now, how do I get my wife to read this... :confused:

7. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

How about fried wontons or steamed dumplings? I have to beat people off with a stick. They're also easy to have prepped ahead of time.

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

makemeat loaf out of it, it is really good. just make it up like you are making up a beef meat loaf, it is great. also make breakfast sauage. easy to do, add sage and pepper, and seasonings to taste, and you have breakfast sauage,. you must add a little pork fat to it, so it will fry, but you can make it really lean.

9. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Make Cretons, that other bastion of pork-based French Canadian cuisine.

It freezes beautifully.

"Cretons" Recipe

4 pounds of fresh ground pork meat
    1 cup of homogenized milk
    1 large cooking onion
    1 small garlic clove
    1 pinch of chive (ciboulette)
    1 pinch of mixed spices
    1 pinch of fine herbs
    2 pinch of parsley (persil)
    1 pinch of celery salt
    1 pinch of ground cloves (giroffe)
    pepper and salt (to taste)

1) Place all above-noted ingredients in a deep pot.
    2) After meat starts to cook, allow to simmer on medium-low heat for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Stir occasionally.
    3) Remove from stove and allow to cool for at least five minutes.
    4) Mix thoroughly using a hand mixer, for at least one minute.
    5) Place in small containers and refrigerate.
    6) Enjoy.

10. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    FIN29: Is Creton a sort of smooth pate mixture? When I was a boy we used to buy a product like this that was called Gorton which was the brand name of the product. It came in a small plastic tub like margarine and was delicious. I havent had any since I was a teen and not sure its even made anymore. Im gonna try this recipe for sure. Thanks. :haha:

11. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Yes--It's smoothish (not creamy like pate but definitely not chunky) and you spread it cold on baguette slices. Fantastic. Cut that onion down really small before you start cooking.

BTW, "fines herbes" is an all purpose french seasoning that usually contains parsley, chervil, tarragon, chives and coriander leaf. I usually add a tiny bit of each and go a little heavier on the cloves, but definitely not more than perhaps 1/8t. for this size batch. You want everything to taste "seasoned" but not be able to pick out any particular flavor, except maybe the onion.