Ugh, neighbors again

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tango, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Suddenly my neighbors want to come over to talk. I am a full time writer now- spend a lot of time on the net to ease the brain but I'm used to that loophole. Suddenly new neighbors and old neighbors are coming over unannounced and interfering with my schedule. They don't mean to be a pain, but they are. How can someone move to the country and butt in to someone else's life? We didn't all move to the country to be social. My next house will be in the woods and there won't be a way to get people at the door unless they can maneuver around my bulldog and catahoula and 1500 ft of distance between driveway and front door. I don't need to tell these neighbors "STOP! " since I only have a couple of weeks here but imo if one lives in the country, one should respect his/her neighbor's time. I want to be neighborly but PLEASE! These visits are almost daily and at my peak writing moments. I've thought of not answering the door but by the time my dogs are quiet my concentration is blown anyway. :bash:

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................Fences and Gates!! But , for the Long run you should accept these friendly folks as someday you may get snakebit and need a Ride to the emergency room . Being a creative person , I would post a Nice sign at the entry of my driveway that Lists something like......."Creative Genius at Work"
    .....................................................................Thinking....."9am to 5pm"
    ....................................................Coffee and Conversation...>after 5pm , thanks ...Tango , fordy... :)

3. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Yes, I read somewhere about a couple who had a "system" to let people know if they were receiving guests...something like a light on a post, and a sign beneath: "If the light is on, we're receiving guests....if not, we are busy and hope to see you again......."
    Or something like that.

I think that should work, without offending anyone.

4. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Ours is "if the gate is locked -no company" and thank the gods for answering machines!

5. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Let's not forget caller ID..(more proof that some of those "modern, newfangled inventions" certainly have their place! Haha)

:cool:

6. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I would just let these people know that you are working from home and while you enjoy their visits you need to limit them to only after 3 pm or whatever hour works for you. I am sure most people would understand and it woul help you to plan your day.

DH's brother and old roomate used to just drop by unannounced when we first got together. I had to have DH tell them that they needed to call ahead now that their was a lady in the house. More than once I had one of them stop by when I was already in my nightclothes or taking a bath! They understood and are now well-trained.

7. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

You could do your best writing while ummm you know, missing a few clothes.

Folks wouldnt be dropping by any more thats for sure LOL

I for one just dont answer the door.

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've only got two and a half weeks left here so I'm calculating how much muscle each neighbor has to help load the moving truck :) In TN, I won't be bothered but will probably have to put up signs lest some nincompoop tries to negotiate the pasture and my dogs and I end up in trouble cause I didn't warn him or her not to trespass :rolleyes:

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We live a half mile off the road and I honestly think some people were just driving up to see the new house. People would drive up then turn around and leave when they saw us. It was very aggravating, plus we were concerned that another one of the dogs would get run over.

We put a chain across the driveway at the road with a sign: PRIVATE PROPERTY KEEP OUT.

So far, so good.