uggggggh!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Firethorn, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Ok , no names. But I want some others opinion. I tend to only see things my way (sometimes).

I call about "BUYING" two sheep. She explains they are her pets."OK?" (no eating, I get it.) We talk a short bit. She tells of someone who came to buy but was takeing them home in a mini van. She turned them down says come back in a year when you are ready.
    Who here would go back, why say such a thing? What does she care how they are takeing them home. I should mention these are babydoll stock. Quite small. I tell her about a 6 week old pigmy we brought home in a cargo van. That by the way was not how we intended to bring home her "pets".

we talk a bit about family, we both homeschool, both have adopted childern, she is on 4 acers, we are on almost 1. She explains how all her babies are all sold close to home and she keeps in touch. I told her we would futher talk about it at home and let her know if we would come up. We were still in the middle of a conversation when she interupted to tell me she had to go cuz someone was there,she would get back with me. She has not and it has been several days. I called her once, left a message. Pmed her. I know she has been on line since then. So its not like she just has not gotten the time. pLUS WE ARE TALKING BUISNESS , you dont neglect a potintial costomer.

Well odviously we will not buy from her. I just was excited that she lived only a few miles from us. If I buy a animal I dont want to have to report back to the seller on how good her pet tasted.(Ok, we were not going to eat them. Unless one of them outlived there usefullness otherwise.) Yes I like to buy from someone who is willing to be available for questions, or concerns but that should be my choice.
    I think I got the brush off, and I cant see why. What did I say wrong? I bit my lip abuot all this when I was on the phone, I just wrote it off as one of those who have pet stock not livestock. But now my fellings are hurt cuz I was found to be unsuitable before I was ever met, and not given the respect of telling me so.
    Mrs C.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you too smart for her? I know that in the dog world, "babydoll" means poor breeding. Are there problems with these sheep because they have been miniaturized? Primative breeds are naturally small, and quite hardy. If these have been bred down they could be small because of dwarism, bad kidneys, etc.

All the animals we have, four sellers in all, were careful about who they sold to and needed to know that the animals would be properly cared for, and in three cases, that they would be pets. None of them were sappy about it. I think she may need people to think she is the sweetest saint on earth so she makes a big deal out of being unable to part with her babies.

I think you are wise to do business elsewhere.

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Some people don't do business well. She may not break even or make $ on her flock of pets.

Who knows why she didn't contact you again? Heck, be glad she isn't driving over to inspect your place or follow-up every season. THAT would get old.

4. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

My first reaction was,"count your blessings!" You might be fortunate not to be involved with her. It sounds like it wasn't a business with her but ...edit, this was a knee-jerk reaction to perceived pain... animal business is chancy business.
    Maybe some people can't say they've changed their minds...too bad, it would save a lot of upset for others. You didn't do anything wrong. Sorry about your hurt feelings.

5. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I agree that you are better off doing business with someone else. This women sounds like she thinks you are fostering her children rather than buying animals.

When my mother adopted her beagle, who lives like the king he thinks he is, the woman who had given him up to a shelter called her and started giving her twenty questions about how he was being cared for. My mother who is too nice for her own good usually, cut her off after several questions and said look if you were so interested in his care you would have kept him yourself. She also gave the girl she worked with who arrainged the adoption a tongue lashing for giving out her number.

6. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

You are talking about another poster on this forum, which honestly isn't very hard to find out who it is. :rolleyes:

Maybe this should have just been left unsaid or chalked up to experience.

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I don't know how you presented , but she might have gotten the wrong intent about your purpose. She might be wanting an owner that is into showing or keeping a purbreed of her strain, OR a pet owner by her standard and interview that you'll keep her idea about how the sheep were to be kept. It's her right, I guess to deny sale of an animal as she would see fit.
    Not meant any disrespect on your part, but I have scrupuoulsy had pups bred for purpose that I screened prospective owners. Price and 'business' wasn't the issue, but health of the breed was prime consideration. Perhaps in her world with the babydoll sheep, it's a similar circumstance.

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Yea, count your blessings.

Poor way to do business.

Hard to be a breeder of livestock & try to control things after the sale - in my book anyhow.

You would have needed to charge rent, as this was just a lease, you raise her critters for her. :)

--->Paul

9. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree that under any circumstance, a return call or PM was in order. At the same time, a seller has the option to say yes or no to a potential buyer.

You admitted that you might eat the sheep should it outlive it's usefullness--perhaps she doubted your sincerity when you said you wouldn't. That would be reason enough for me to say no. Perhaps she felt more comfortable with another buyer.

10. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I sold all my Goats didn't see the Guy for a year,then got to talking with him.I wish I had not seen him for the fact it broke my heart the way he was treating these animals.But they were his and I no longer have a say.

Homesteading if you sell stock or Land it is best to sell and not look back because the new owner will never see things as you.

big rockpile

11. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

I"m upfront with ppl and tell them I am buying the goats to eat and if they have an issue with it don't bother wasting my time or theirs. I can always find more goats.

I had one lady sell us a goat..she knew it was gonna be dinner in a few days and called me and asked me how the goat was..well of course I said it was great..very tender and not at all gamey. She was shocked and said that if she knew we were going to eat she wouldn't have sold it to us. We were upfront with her and told her right off the bat that the goat was being bought for meat not as a pet..I guess she thought we were joking.

kppop

12. UpstateNY

UpstateNY Active Member

You either keep or sell. You can not have it both ways. I have met people who are like this and I do not need or want the hassle. I do not abuse animals and I think an animal is lucky to be brought to my home but, if I bought it it is mine to eat, resell and care for as I see fit or need. When I sell I have to sell and not look back and I have had to teach this to my children. If I want to keep control over the life of an animal then I must keep it myself. This behavior of wanting to sell but follow up and check and set rules is selfish. They want you to raise and pay for their pets. They want the money and the animal, while taking my money and control over my livestock. I won't deal with them. They basically want your money but do not want to give you anything for your money. Spend your money on stock YOU can own, not stock that is still owned by someone else.

13. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

OH, my, but I understand her. I got so attached to the puppies I bred that I gave up breeding dogs, then my husband didn't even want to think about someone eating our Pygmy goats that I gave up breeding them too. Now they are all pets, pets only. You are right when you say she isn't into making money off them, it's a hobby, adopted kids, sure, what you want to call it, but that's okay isn't it? Just buy your sheep somewhere else.

14. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I do understand what you are saying, Ana. Nothing wrong with those feelings.

But I perhaps look at things the other way around. If you _sell_ creatures, then you _cannot_ call them your children & try to control what happens to them after the sale.

(Of course, basic animal welfare issues to be upheld!!!!!!!!)

One does not sell one's children. If one feels their animals are adopted kids, then one really shouldn't be tring to sell off one's kids, should they?

We are probably looking at the glass 1/2 full & 1/2 empty, and not all that far off in our real view on this, right? :)

But, if one puts something up for _sale_, then one has to actually be willing to cut all ties with it, and let it go. When a 'for sale' sign goes up, it is a business deal, and as such the item being sold is a commodity. Way different than giving things away 'for free but with strings' or trying to make a profit (cash sale) but imposing rules beyond the sale date.

As you did, if one cannot do that, then one should not be selling those items, or misleading others into thinking they are _selling_ anything.

Just how I see it. Not trying to make any rules, or change the world. And not upset about this in either direction - just my opinion in cold black & grey text, all emotion unfortunately left out. :)

--->Paul

15. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

While I wouldn't do business with someone that wanted to keep checking on me after the sale, I can relate. Selling pets is a lottery, sometimes the people you think will take care of your animals don't. We have sold a few horses in our time and I always gave the buyer a month to change his mind.Sometimes things don't work out. The only other time I sold animals it was 2 milk goats. One went to a friend who kept it with his sheep so it was bred by their ram. She aborted the baby so he sold her at the auction. I was really mad as she was a good goat and I had told him we would take her back at any time and refund his money. We had let him have her in the first place because he was a friend of ours. Second time we sold a milker to a neighbor. Same deal and we also offered to answer any questions and give any help she needed. The goat ended up in a blackberry patch and totally neglected. We were finally called when she got mastitis. She was thin,lame and her udder was in a terrible shape. We bought her back and ended up we had to put her down.We have never sold an animal since. No excess kittens and puppies and the farm animals are eaten by us.

16. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe some questioning of potential owners is OK. Some people don't have enough sense to take care of there own children let alone a pet or livestock. Once there gone though I don't see any reason to follow up, unless new owners have questions or ask for your help. My .02

17. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

That's true for most times in selling a farm product for food, but there also could be 'strings attached' in the case of written contracts which might prohibit breeding the animal, for example. There could be other conditions with that. One that comes to mind is some breeds of dogs should never be tied. If that was contracted in writng and agreed, then the new owner should be aware of that as a 'condition' for ownership after the 'sale'.
    I haven't heard of 'non-eating' contracts for farm animals, though if it was such as a written contract, and parties agreed upon those terms, then they have to abide by them. Maybe that's the best route to go in a 'business' deal when an owner stiuplates in writing. The seller is choosing the buyer on the basis of the agreement and condition that they have the interest of their animal breed at hand.

True, that animals are property, and with different legistlation than social matters regarding children. Children are fostered and under the care of the adult, but not 'owned' in the context of property contracts. Children can't be legally sold or eaten because they are not personal property by any definition we accept and all the moral and legal obligations we accept about that.

Many properties can have 'stings attached' after ownership. An example is owning a tractor. You own it, but the seller assumes you won't drive it on the highway illegally. Craftsmen may deny sale of a product to someone that presented the wrong use for that product, or at least discourage that person to go somewher else to get what they really need. Pet horse or sheep or rabbit, or whatever a seller had availalble and chose to not sell to someone if the prospective buyer was probably going to eat it, they simply direct that prospect to a source that can offer what they are looking for.

As for assuring the welfare and future of the animal after purchase, the laws in place are there against cruelty.

18. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose she has a right to sell to whomever she wants. Its great she loves her animals and if she wants to screen potential homes, then so be it.

Not calling you back is just plain rude. I would not do business with someone like that.

I wont adopt an animal through a rescue because of all the bloody conditions, and home checks and what nots.
    I dont want to have to arrange my life around thier conditions and visits.

19. debra in nm

debra in nm Member

I agree she has the right to sell to whomever she wants. However, I think there is a little attachment problem here and she should probably look into NOT breeding any more animals. I'm pretty picky, too, and usually screen buyers a little for their future plans with my fiber goats.

As far as what to haul them in.. geez! OK, if you're tying them on the roof of your car, maybe. We haul our sheep & goats around in the backs of pickups, station wagons, etc. I had one gal bring a doe to my buck in the back seat of an old Pontiac. Did I turn her away? Naw! debra in nm

20. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I don't know who it is and probably 99% of the 9,000 plus of us don't. I don't care to know who it is, but I do think it is a worthy discussion. Honestly I wouldn't have known it was someone else on these boards had YOU not said anything.