UGGGG another failed kindling

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Wildfire_Jewel, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

We bred our best proven Cal doe to one of our Giant Chin bucks (the 11 yr old wanted to see what we'd get for meat quality). She kindled somewhere between 6:15 am when he checked on the girls and 11 am when I went to check. All eight were scattered, no hair pulled, 2 half eaten and all dead. A couple even looked to perhaps have had facial deformities. They just didn't look "right". I am thinking she got spooked by something or she had difficulty with the first one and the rest behind it died before they could "get out". That is what our 4-H leaders told us could happen? Not sure if htat is true or not becasue I can't find it in any of our books.
    The doe is now making a nest?! after I cleaned up the mess. Is it possible that there are more?? Oh one other thing, today was only day 29 and we have never had a doe kindle that early. It has always been day 32. Will does have varied due dates like us humans?
    Thanks again everyone!
    melissa

2. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

ossiblity of more? According to past posts, yes-- the ones born first would have been concieved at a later date (last in, first out) They could very well been born a bit early as a result of the hormonal changes taking place to permit the first conception group to be born... This has actually happened with people--Mom getting pregnant two months in a row...."twins" with different conception dates, being born on the same date.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

rabbits have Two horns to their uterous and can carry essentially two pregnancys at the same time, so its intirely possible she could have a second litter in there and do this one right. leave the box in there and see what she does

4. Wildfire_Jewel

thanks, that is kinda what I was wondering although after running around with the hay in her mouth, rearranging it and all, she still has not pulled hair. Who knows! I think I am going to make a strict no breeding rule unless mom is right there too. That way he doesn't "forget" to tell me when he comes back in from the barn. And if he breaks it it will be pretty easy to tell!! and he is not going to like the consequences! :flame:

5. Wildfire_Jewel

OH forgot to ask....Is there a book on just rabbit breeding? I'd like to find something that has diagrams of the "sex organs" and has the stages of gestation (like you can find for chicks). Just something that has more to it than the basic rabbit care books I have. They really do not have as much detail on the breeding/gestation stuff as I would like.
    Thanks
    Melissa

6. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

How is she doing this morning, Melissa?

I'm wondering may-be that's why she killed them, they were deformed and wouldn't live anyhow? Would rabbits kill not-perfect young?

7. Wildfire_Jewel

She is sitting in the nest box alot but hasn't made any further attempts to make a good nest or pull hair. She is overly affectionate right now but her hormones are prob'ly all messed up. This girl made a beautiful nest for her first litter of 8 with only one that failed to thrive. Day 32 is Thurs and we have 3 other does due. Hopefully things go better with them but one is a first time mom so we will have to wait and see. At least we should have other moms to foster the kits if she proves to be a poor mom this time.
    Melissa

8. Wildfire_Jewel

Darn first time mommas!! I am thinking I need to install a video system out there so I can check in on them when I am busy with my day care kids in the house!! No babies at 6:30 am and then at 11 am I find 2 dead and one on it's way out ( I tried to warm them all just to see if they'd revive....too late AGAIN) This first timer had not even pulled hair and I even have another momma who coulda fostered.....I would insert the pics of the 3 week old little ones we have right now that are keeping our spirits positive if I knew how!
    melissa

9. Dian

Dian Well-Known Member

Was the one on it's way out dead also? It doesn't sound like the others would have had time to chill and die. I wonder if they were stillborn? I'm not sure what the problem is, but I was wondering how much larger than the does your giant chin buck is? I know sometimes if the buck is much larger than the doe it can cause problems. If the babies are large they may be getting stuck and dieing before the doe can deliver them. Just a thought. I hope you have better luck next time.
    Dian

10. Wildfire_Jewel

OOPS sorry but the first timer from yesterday was a mini rex. The chin would crush them! We only put the chin buck onto the one Cal doe. The babies did not appear that large to me but he is prob'ly 3lbs heavier than her at this point and he is also twice as long. That very well could have been the problem! I don't know why I didn't think about that! DUH!!! Now I really feel stupid!
    Melissa

11. Bernadette

Bernadette Enjoying Polish Rabbits

You shouldn't have any problem breeding your Giant Chin to the Cal. The very first litter I ever had this summer was the result of a Cal/Champagne cross doe that had been bred to a Giant Chin. For meat quality, I think that you will find they will get bigger, but they take a bit longer to fill out because they grow bone first, then beef up.

I would check several things in your rabbitry. Is there anything strange going on - something that's scaring the does when they are about to Kindle? Check your feeding regime - is there a feed or mineral deficiency or inconsistency that is perhaps causing kits to be born dead or deformed? Do they run out of water on a regular basis? Is someone making excessive noise or anything else that could cause stress when they are cleaning the manure from the building? Also, I'd definitely establish a breeding plan. Instead of taking all responsibility away from son, why not make it so there's no excuse for not recording - like a huge calander with a pencil or marker tied beside it - on the door of the rabbitry on the way out? Then if he 'blows' that, then consider taking the 'job' away from him?

Just some thoughts of how I might approach this if it were my problem.

12. Wildfire_Jewel

The final doe (pretty sure the other girl didn't take) had her litter this morning. All four look great (well except that 3 are Charlies :rolleyes: ) and she buried them in a ton of fur :dance: As far as noise there is nothing going on that is any different than normal. And if there was a problem this last doe would have been the one to show it! She is our most uptight girl in the whole barn! She will come to the front of the cage to say hi but don't even think about touching her!! We are continuing to watch for mice and take care of any we catch or nests they have begun. The buns are fed Purina show formula and I watch the dates on the bags we buy so they are not old. They get veggies and hay as well. I am not sure there is a whole lot else I can do at this point. Other than putting the whole barn in a bubble :shrug:
    Thanks
    Melissa

OH thanks for the suggestion of the calendar on the barn wall.....We have one in the house but he can easily forget between the barn and the house :p That will be a great solution!