udders in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by famer_manda, Mar 31, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

What exactly would udders be like in pregnancy for a pygmy goat? My two girls have a difference in their udders. The one that we assume is pregnant, the sac area is much bigger but the teats are the same. Are the teats supposed to change in preparation for kidding? Or is it just the bag area which gets larger as it produces colustrum? Neither of these goats have kidded before so there wouldn't be something "left over" from previous kidding. Or can one goat just naturally have a bigger sac area? The likely pregnant one- her bag sags about 4 inches down... maybe 5. I haven't measured it. The other one is only about an inch. Just a small pooch whereas the other one is more than a handful. Maybe two handfuls.
    Any idea ?

2. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Our pygmy that kidded 2 days ago only looked like she had 2 tennis balls (1/2 to 3/4)under her. Her teats didn't change.

3. famer_manda

hmm.. you mean that is how much would have fit in there? I suppose if you look from under my pygmys tail, it looks the size of a tennis ball. I really wish I knew more about goats :p

I was just wondering since the teats were the same between the two that maybe the udder size meant nothing and maybe she wasn't pregnant. The difference in udder size is promising to me and I am relieved that the teats are normal LOL

I looked at the teats and each of the tips have like a black scab looking thing. What is it? is that normal on teats? Would it hinder feeding kids?

4. Ramblin Acres

Ramblin Acres Well-Known Member

The black looking tips are the "plugs"That is what keeps the milk in,when the doe has her babies the kids will open the teats up when they go to nurse.

As far as the size of the bag that really is different with every goat.I have one doe that does not bag until the day she freshens.I have another doe that is due at the end of the month and her bag is full and hard.

I will try and take some pictures and then maybe someone on here could post them for me, as I really have no clue or I guess I could post them on my website too.

5. famer_manda

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking out time to help me

6. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

I have 2 goats, both were bred the same day. One breeding 'took', the other didn't. The one goat freshened, but bagged up about 3 weeks before kidding. The other goat, well, we still weren't sure she wasn't pregnant. Her udder was starting to grow, but was smallish. I guess the size would be about 1/2 of a hamburger bun stuck to her on each side. She never kidded...so we know she's not pregnant. Should've happened 3 weeks ago, so yes, we're positive! But her udder still has 'sustenance' to it, for lack of a better word. She's pretty meaty, compared to the other goat, who is relatively boney. We're trying to fatten her up without making her clump. Is it normal for a non-pregnant doe to have an udder at all? She would've made beautiful babies.
    - Kathy

7. Ramblin Acres

Ramblin Acres Well-Known Member

Kathy,

I am guessing that your doe is probably a tad overweight maybe?

I took some pictures of my doe that is due at the end of the month even tho I think she is going to go early.She is now having mucus discharge and bag is full,ligaments appear to be gone and she is really swollen.

I tried posting pictures but they were to blurry,I will try and go take some more...

8. famer_manda

have you gotten pictures up anywhere yet ramblin?