Udderly EZ Hand Operated Goat Milk Pump

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Hip_Shot_Hanna, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong..but isn't squeezing that thing just as much work as squeezing a teat? Seems that it would really be a pain to clean as it looks like intricate parts...think cream seperator :(. I seem to recall discussion about this product recently, not sure of the concensus.

3. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Don't have one, but read the same article. You don't have to squeeze as much as hand milking, so good for arthritis . . . but the recepticle is so small. It looks like it would be a decent 'accessory' for handmilking, but I doubt it would replace it.

Seems like it would be a good way to get colostrum from a FF if you're doing CAE prevention.

4. Hip_Shot_Hanna

The receptacle can be either a quart or a pint. I figure a quart for each teat is pretty good going.. but I have never had a doe that gave more than a half gallon at a time. I like the idea of it because I do have arthritis. You only have to pump three to five times and then let the vacuum pull the milk down.

Plus, it would keep the dust and flies out of the milk. I know I've posted about the flies being bad here before. Believe it or not, we still have them out on warm days! And once flies fall into the milk... well, let's just say that the pigs get the milk then. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

Plus, the goat can't put her foot in the milk, you have a free hand to hold her leg back, and the article in Countryside said the does actually seem to like/tolerate it better than hand milking as it doesn't squeeze and pull.

So those are the pluses I read about - though I must say I haven't used one to know.

5. cjg24

cjg24 Cindy

I am also interested because I have a bad shoulder and have trouble milking some times. I read an article about this I think in Hobby Magazine and it said it works great for getting colostrum from horses. But did not address goats.

6. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I have one. I have carpal tunnel and a bad tendon in my right thumb that gets inflamed. It has always worked great for me, I don't use it everyday but I have used it for 2 weeks at a time. It is very easy to clean, I have the 1 quart bottles and I don't get more than 1/2 gallon at a milking. You can also keep a covered container and pour the milk out if it gets too full, you don't have to take it apart or anything to pour it out.

I have milked my regular milker with it and I also milked a wild FF with it. The wild one I was able to hold while milking with one hand so that worked well. We also have sheep and I thought I could use it on them if I need to milk their colostrum.

The only problem I have found is the sound from releasing the suction. It sometimes scares my doe, but she is real nervous anyway.

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Um, why in the world is it nearly 200 dollars? I figured it would be about 20- 30.

8. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

With this I must agree. If it was even 50.00 I'd buy it in an instant. The 200.00 dollar price tag is a little hard to swallow.

9. southerngurl

Yea, $50 would be about tops for me, if I were going to buy something like that.

10. kerrinatoz

kerrinatoz Well-Known Member

That really good news for me, this is going on my wishlist. I am only mid thirties but seemed to be developing arthritis in my right hand (wouldn't you know it). We just got our goats and will be in milk next spring. This makes me rest a bit easier. I imagine its probably like using a pump for breastfeeding. It makes sense that it is alot more effiecient than just using the hand expressing.

Kerrin

11. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Well, if I were to guess as to why the price is so high, it's because originally it was developed for horses and horse people are willing to pay the price. (No offense to any horse people here. But alot of horses are treated more like pets than livestock, and the manufacturer knows that they can charge whatever price, and the horse people will still buy it because they NEED it.)

Hopefully with them adding the larger capacity size to it, goat people will buy it and the price will come down. I don't think we will see it at $30.00 or $50.00, but $100.00 might be a realistic price.

Let's hope at any rate!

12. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I paid $154 for mine, I got it directly from the website. It may seem expensive to some but around here we can use it on the sheep and horses too if we need to. You can't do that with a milking machine.

13. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I don't know if you ever priced a human breast pump, but they are not cheap either! It's something to make things easier...duh it's gonna cost ya! But when you consider how much pain it keeps a person from having to suffer with, the price is not bad at all in my opinion. And if you don't have a big enough herd to need a big milker and equimpment (and all the cleaning and parts that go with it that cost WAY more than this) I think this would be awesome. Now as to how well it works...don't have one so can't say. Wish I knew!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

14. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

If anyone is interested in purchasing this it is available untill Dec 31 at midnight from this website for $125.00. www.avolinofarm.com
    I just got my own christmas present :)

15. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, that $125 price is right, but it's www.avolinofarm.com not farm's'. I'm considering it. They modified it since it came out for equine originally and now it appears they make a special goat/sheep model as well. My husband can't milk as he's on the verge of carpel tunnel with being a mechanic, and I type all day at work then at home on the 'puter, so probably just a matter of time before I get it as well. Milking only 1-3 nigerians or mini manchas at a time would probably be great for this. hmmmmm.....

16. MountainMama

MountainMama Well-Known Member

I just checked and it says $145.99 plus shipping & handling. How do you get the discount?

17. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

what a waste of money for milking for more then just colostrum collection! I can see me out there trying to milk my goats with this unit.. so now you need two, one for each teat and if you use it on more then one goat... that is alot of squeezing!

for that kind of money you can purchase a surge belly milker, convert it for goats and steal your husbands air compressor and convert it to a vacuum pump!
    Now you can milk goats!

I can see this unit being used on horses but goats? :shrug:

18. Hip_Shot_Hanna

I think this unit will be useful for me - and I don't have electricity out at my barn which is at least 100 yards from the house so air compressor wouldn't work out.

Also, only three to five squeezes per teat is not a lot of squeezing. I counted my "squeezes" one time on my Nubian. She was only giving around 2 pints then, and I counted about 287 "squeezes." I think ten is a great alternative.

19. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think people realize (I didn't until I read over the whole site) that you only squeeze a couple times which makes a suction and the milk comes out then.

Email the people from Avolino Farm below is the email I received from them this a.m.

Jenny,

Thanks for your interest.

I am a factory authorized dealer for Stone Manufacturing, the maker of the
    Udderly EZ Milker. Since I buy in bulk, I save and pass the savings on to
    my customers. Since I don't publish a catalogue, or maintain a store
    front, I also keep overhead very low.

On my web site, www.avolinofarm.com, we have a page dedicated to the
    Udderly EZ Milker. It details all the kit includes, and also displays the
    accessories I carry ala carte for the milker... check it out and if you
    have any further questions, please feel free to email me back.

In the Spring of 2006, a friend told us they had purchased the Udderly Ez
    Milker and paid $159.99 for the basic kit. When she told us how it worked,
    we thought it seemed too good to be true, especialy since we too wanted a
    traditional vaccuum dairy pump and didn't have the $600+ that a small one
    would have cost. We visited her farm and watched the Udderly EZ in action
    and literally I was sold. I own a mail order business, a small farm, and a
    small country restaurant, and the last thing I needed was another business
    enterprise, however I became a dealer for Stone and these milkers sell
    like hotcakes; no doubt because I charge such an attractive price... I
    beat the web sites and the catalogues. Anyway, we do use the milker on our
    does. We find it has cut our milking time down to about 1/2 to a third of
    the time it used to take hand milking. Plus as our site lists... no kicked
    over milk pails, no need to filter the milk etc...

Stone Mfg guarantees the product against any defect in manufacturing, and
    I have yet to have one unhappy customer.

If you will to make a purchase, just email me what you wish to order, I
    will send you an email confirmation. If you wish to pay via credit card, I
    accept them through PayPal. I will send a request for payment through
    PayPal and once you make payment and funds appear in my account, usually
    within minutes of payment, I will ship item(s) same day USPS First Class
    Mail. If you wish to pay via certified check or money order, you can mail
    payment and once it is received and clears our bank, we will ship item(s).

Shipping is a flat $10. Delivery confirmation is 50 cents, insurance I
    beleive is $1.30.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me back...

Thanks again, I hope to hear from you soon, and enjoy a Safe and Peaceful
    Holiday!!!

Chris Bove
    Avolino Farm
    www.avolinofarm.com

20. southerngurl

That does make a difference, still think it's a bit too much though. :)