udderly easy milker?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by kesoaps, Nov 1, 2006.

1. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen this? I just read about it in Sheep! magazine. It's a hand held milking unit. They've got one for horses and another for sheep/goats. At just under $200, it's certainly more affordable than a bucket milker; wonder if it's sturdy enough to hold up milking a couple of animals over a long period of time?

http://1222430.estore.networksolutionsdesign.com/Categories.bok

2. MommaSasquatch

MommaSasquatch Well-Known Member

There were a couple threads about it in the goat forum a few weeks ago. Some people bought them to try. It might be worth searching for. If I recall correctly the reviews were mixed. I might be more curious come spring when I've got four animals to milk instead of just one.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

With no pulsation you'd have to wonder if it'd work very well to milk an entire lactation. Great concept though.

4. kesoaps

That's a good point, Ross. My hands/wrists just weren't holding up with Dolly; but then, her teats stick out to the sides and are relatively short. With any luck the EFs will be easier to handmilk, but I keep thinking this thing may just help out a bit, especially on days when I'm struggling. Not to mention if I can keep the girls milking until fair time it'd be terrific!

5. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I. too, saw this product in SHEEP magazine. It reminded me that I was going to try my old battery operated breast pump on my ewes to see if that worked :) :shrug: I've not tried it yet but was wondering if anyone else has??? It's paid for and didn't cost $200.00 originally. I was looking at just collecting colostrum, not milking.

6. kesoaps

Well, if it works, let me know! :p