Udder skin problem

Discussion in 'Goats' started by glenberryfarm, Dec 26, 2006.

1. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

I have an older Nubain doe that is due the end of Feb. She is dry. I noticed that her udder is covered by a scaly, bumpy skin. It looks horrible. Her skin elsewhere looks fine-no hair loss. It's just on her udder and teats. Any idea what this may be? At first I thought mites, but it is only on her udder.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Faye

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

this is most likely staph infection. you can get diaper rash creme that contains 1% zinc from the pharmacy . wash the udder with soapy water and dry very good, than put the cream on. keep the bedding dry. :)

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

4. susanne

i'm not so sure if that is the right treatment for staff infection. bag balm will help to keep the skin healthy and might protect from staph bacteria going into the skin.

5. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you take a skin scraping to your vet and have it looked at under the microscope? Knowing what you are treating is half the battle, and cheaper in the long run than trying all kinds of remedies without success (your time has value, too). Whatever it is, you'll want to get it cleared up before she kids.

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

If you aren't going to go in for a skin scraping...start in your does stall. Go kneel in it and get your nose to he same level she is at when laying down...are your knees wet? Than it is either urine scald, depending upon how much ammonia you are smelling, or its staph...most staph is enviornmental and you aren't going to clear it up until summer, when the bedding is cleaned out and the sun kills it.

Using salves and balms is the last thing you want to do. The coating you put on it with petroleum based products is the perfect environment for staph to grow in, it keeps it damp and moist, your growing staph not killing it.

You can purchase chlorhexiderm wash/spray from most catalogs, and you can get it from your vet. Put it into a spray bottle and use this to cleanse her udder daily, twice a day if you can stand busy work. Chlorhexiderm is excellent for treating things like this, plus although it is drying to the staph it also has this wonderful moisturising ability. You do not want to use things that are harsh, like bleach etc...mostly because if you dry out her skin more you can set her up for pemphagus, alot like eczema in us where our skin replaces itself way to fast, and why most things like this are treated with steroids. Do not use steroids in a pregnant doe, until after she kids.

I am a huge fan of chlorhexiderm/nolvasan (you can also purchase it as a salve/balm called nolvasan..but you don't want to use it for staph, it is great for cuts and scrathes though. Chlorhexiderm also makes a fabulous pre and post udder wash/dip. I use it on the goats and dogs for everything.

With this kind of enviornmental staph on this doe, or if it becomes more of a problem in other does as they begin to freshen, you might want to think about vaccinating for this with Lysigin...jeffers carries it, we use it yearly.. Vicki

7. glenberryfarm

Thanks so much for the info. I too had reservations about using a balm if it staph. I have Betadine on hand-can I use that as a wash. I did an internet search and for goat "acne" the betadine is supposed to work really well.
    Again thank you

8. glenberryfarm

Vicki, isn't the Lysigin for Mastitis? Is the staph on her skin and mastitis related?
    Faye

9. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Staph is staph. We started using the Lysigin back when it was called Stomato Staph, advice from a judge who gave my daughter a small group of his older does when he started judging alot, 2 were champions. It not only cleared the does I bought home from him but also a few of my does who were plagued with this. A bonus is that I do not have a goat, unless she came staph positive, that has ever had mastitis. Vicki

10. susanne

i had a doe that came to my place with staph infection on the udder, wither and along the spine. because somebody recommended lysigin i tried this. it had absolutely no effect what so ever.
    i did put salve with zinc on the spots and it cleared up.
    lysigin can help to minimize the severity of the mastitis but the management has still to be good, means dry clean bedding, clean milking practice, good minerals and balanced feeding.

11. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I had a doe with that years ago-- I used Bag a Balm and it cleared right up--Liz