udder question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by js2743, Jan 7, 2007.

1. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

hello, yesterday i had a nubian/lamancha cross doe FF to have twins they are doing ok but this morning when i went out to check on every thing. i noticed what looked like they was just eating from the left side. so i milked the right side out and then reached over to the left side and it was kinda hard feeling not the teat its self but up on the udder part like right above the teat did milk a lil ot of this teat and it looked normal. stayed there for awhile to watch and see if they nursed and they both did from the left one that is kinda hard is this normal or is there something going on with that side. it doesnt feel like its hot or anything just wondering if i massage it would that help or hurt things and do i need to give a antibiotic or is there something just for this .

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Some does simply do this, and if you continue to milk the other side, which you should, you may see this hardness start on your side also. It makes no sense for it to be true edema, since you would assume it would be from getting overfull, but edema non the less it is. Keep milking out once a day the side the kids aren't nursing on and let them continue to nurse off theirs, soon they will figure out that the other side is fine, mostly when one of the siblings refuses to share anymore, and then, because you milked it, this side will have enough milk for the new kid, when if left to it's own would dry up.

We have had FF that made this hard right ring of tissue right above the udder, nursing, hand milking or machine milking made no difference, it goes away slowly, but it does go away. Vicki

3. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

Thank you again for your help!