Udder question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KimM, May 30, 2006.

1. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

My first-time freshener has dried up on one side. Her (single) kid is still nursing on the other side. This is the same doe I thought was starting out with Mastitis but it was a congested udder and she came out of it in a few days. The affected side is the side that is milking now and the other side is dried up. Is this common or normal? Is it a sign of a bad udder?

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I take it you aren't milking her? In which case, probably the single kid is only nursing on one side, so the side that wasn't being nursed - dried up! Supply and demand. :)

My little Nubian cross, also a first freshener, has the same thing, except I'm milking her twice a day. One side is being nursed out and the other is full - but if I stopped milking, I'm sure it would dry up.

3. KimM

Nope, not milking her, she's a Boer cross and I don't know enough about milking to give it a go. Funny thing was that the kid started out nursing the one side, then I saw her nursing both sides, even now she trys to nurse the dry side. This is my first year having goats so I have MUCH to learn.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Right, it's not a bad udder so much as that one side just didn't get used. had you milked that side everyday, the milk would have continued to be produced. The udder will be lopsided a bit after she kids next time, hopefully with twins, and that side should have milk in it, as long as it is still healthy, which it should be if no infection has occurred.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

How old is the kid? If the "dry"side has not been dry too long, perhaps the kid will get it going again. Very often a single kid will only nurse one side at first, then later, when older, will start nursing both sides. I had a Boer doe that had one kid last year that did that. She had one big side to her udder and one small. The kid finally started nursing both sides. But I had milked out the other side a few times to relieve the pressure and kinda keep the milk going as it looked like it would explode. This was not a real tame goat so it was not easy!

6. KimM

She's 3.5 weeks old and weighs 23 pounds....she must be getting enough out of the one!