Udder problems!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by shell, May 4, 2004.

1. shell

shell New Member

One of my ewe's has very large & discoloured udder, thought this was mastitis, but neighbour from farm across came & looked at her said it wasn't mastitis & hadn't seen anything like it before, when you squeeze the teats on the udder they only squirt out blood...? she is not eating & losing weight rapidly anyone any ideas what she may have??...

2. From personal experience I would say your ewe does indeed have a case of acute mastitis. Sometimes the infection crosses the mammary tissue and becomes systemic. Another name for mastitis in sheep is blue bag due to the dark purplish discoloration. Usually the udder can't be restored to milking capability. If the ewe is important to you for her fleece I would suggest having a veterinarian out ASAP to examine her and recommend the best course of antibiotics. Over the past 21 years in my flock, I've had 2 ewes with acute mastitis and even with immediate attention both ewes died. I've also had 2 ewes with severe cases of mastitis in which parts of the udder eventually sloughed off but the ewe themselves were fine. These latter 2 were culled. I wish you luck. Keep us posted.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I know I suggested you might have a case of hard bag OPP but I agree the discolouration and blood are a sign of an acute infection/mastitis. She will likely need steriods and an off lable dose of Penicillen. What is her temperature?