U-Joints and Ball Joints

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by big rockpile, Nov 10, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Got to replace Ball Joint on one side and U-Joint on the other side of my 4 Wheel drive '84 F150.

Never pulled the U-Joint,does it just pull out once you get everything out of the way? Never worked on one just wanted to know before got it torn apart.Well before the Wife starts working on it :rolleyes: :haha:

big rockpile

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

big rockpile, I am a bit confused as you said the U joint on the other "side". Is this the joint in the axle or the joint going into the differential from the transfercase/transmission?

3. big rockpile

Its the one in the Axle.If she pulls the Hub,Spindle,does it just pull out or does she have to get into the Differential.

big rockpile

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I am not 100 percent positive but I think when she gets everything disconnected at the hub the axle should come out. You will have the choice of sealed or regreaseable joints, I suggest the later.

5. big rockpile

Thanks!!!!! :D

big rockpile

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................BRP, If, the outer seals are leaking on the front axle , you might try and drain the fluid down to about halfway and see if it keeps leaking . Mine leaked alittle from the outer seal and when I lowered the oil level it stopped . It , shouldn't be a problem as if Babs will keep the truck at a LOW SPEED while in 4x4 . Might allow you to keep driving the truck until the spring . Really , you should pickup a repair manual for your truck at your local auto parts store before you attempt any replacement of the outer seals in the front axle . Also , if you DO decide to go ahead and replace the seals , you MUST be very careful when reinserting the axle shaft as you can messup the New seals and it will still leak , not FUN!!!!!!...fordy.... :eek: :)

7. big rockpile

fordy its not leaking.Just the U-Joint is out,plus the Ball Joint is out on the Drivers side.

She has a Manual just has to take time to read it a figure it out.

big rockpile

8. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Just for the record.Ford doesn't use ball joints like Chevy/dodge.There called King Pin Bushings (so you dont get funny looks from the guy behind the parts counter).They also usually dont go out as often.Never had to change either part.Good Luck! How did you manage to break a Ford anyhow! :D (I'm not going to comment on there Twin I beam suspension,but you might also want to check those bushings!) I have changed those,and i can say if they have any slack,change them before the bolt wears into the metal.Very not fun!)
    Check the book to see if you need any special tools,that you might be able to rent from the auto parts store.

Ive heard the K-P Bushings are hard to get out.But theres no way possible for them to be as bad as a rusted Dodge that required a 60 dollar Snap-On socket,heat,oil,and a 5ft pipe over a 1/2drive breaker bar. :rolleyes: And theres many-many auto parts stores here,why dont any of them carry that socket. :rolleyes: Oh well maybe i can rent it out. :D

Man i miss my 85 Ford Bronco,that thing was a tank! (Also got about the same fuel mileage).But it was well spent fuel when dragging a Chevy out of the mud. :D
    J/K guys.