U-haul trucks.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dlangland, Jul 24, 2005.

1. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

A 24 to 26 footer. I have one reserved for this coming weekend. If it weren't for the fact that is is almost 4 hours one way, I would definitely be moving by horse trailer as I have in the past, but...Problem is, if I drive the truck, I can get by without buying the U-haul insurance because I am covered even for contents under my full-coverage on my pickup, my State Farm agent says, witgh my $500 deductible. But I went to the U-haul place last week. That is a pretty huge truck, and I think it would freak me out to drive something that large. The man said I won't know until I get it whether it will be a manual or automative transmission. That's not the problem as I have shifted my whole life. It's just the size that is bothering me. I think I would rather have my dad drive it. It would be well worth the $42 for U-haul insurance, and they don't have a deductible. If I go to just a 17 footer which looks far easier to handle, the man says I won't fit...4 applainces, piano, major books shelves...

2. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

They seem big, but if you ahve driven a truck pulling a horse trailer you'll have no problem. Even still, if you just use common sense they are easy to maneuver. Just take your time, know your route, and remember that you need some space to make those right hand turns. Otherwise, it shouldn't be any problem. Maybe they would let you drive on around the parking lot to get a feel for it. You'll want the extra space for loading your stuff.
    As far as the insurance; if it is 42 from U Haul; get it. So if you do wreck it, it goes on their insurance that you bought and not yours.

3. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Very true. And I never thought about that my insurance/their insurance thing. thank you for being so helpful. I think my mind is just so bogged down with last minute details, I don't feel like I am even think clearly right now.

4. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

Remember it's alot higher than other vehicles you usually drive. Watch out for carports,overhangs,awnings etc.

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Might want to think about does your present drivers license allow for something that big? Depending on the state a normal drivers license (Class I or A or whatever) normally restrictes the size / weight vehicle you can legally drive with it. Your comments say you aren't normally driving the bigger trucks.

What does U-Haul say about restrictions as to operators.

Also for something that big, are there truck scales on your way? Last thing one wants on a move is citations for this or that. Just because it is a U-Haul probably isn't going to give you any special exemptions. You are going to be playing trucker.

Was why I hired a 26 foot trailer from MoveAmerica on my last move. I packed it, but a normal trucking company drove it door to door. Wasn't even legal for me to do it. No way did I want to drive a big puppy anyway. Let the people who do it for a living get it there. Even he got in trouble at my new house. Didn't follow instructions, got into a soft grassy area and got stuck, took about 3 hours to get him loose.

Have you driven the route a few times and are aware of the various areas a big truck could possibly get into tight spots or maybe can't get thru or even be prohibited from going???

6. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Go with the bigger truck, when we moved I think we used the 28 footer and we just barely got everything in. We had my pickup on a trailer behind the truck it was full front and back and our van was full. They aren't that hard to drive just take you time and don't get in a hurry and you'll be alright.

Bobg

7. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

The only problem you may have with U-Haul is that even with a reservation you may not get a truck this weekend. I've personally seen several situations at a U-Haul place when a customer came in and the reserved truck or trailer was not there. It was not a pretty sight.

The folks that run the places can't do anything about it. U-Haul as a corporation is a mess. If the place already has the truck on their lot, then you'll be OK. But if they told you one will be in for the weekend .... good luck.

Other than that you won't have a problem driving the truck. U-Haul has a governor on the engine so don't get yourself in a situation like a long steep downhill where you pull into the passing lane and a speeding semi comes up behind you. You won't be able to get out of the way.

8. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I know. I am not happy abut it, but here they said it may be that I will have to to another town, 1-2 hours away to pick up a truck the day before. Like a person doesn't have enough to do right before a move? My dad is trying to help come up with a backup plan. he can get his company's appliance delivery truck, andget a trailer to pull behind his pickup. But even with my pickup, I don't think everything will fit.

9. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

The trucks are not bad to drive and as another poster already stated if you can drive a p/u w/ a horse trailer it is not much diferent length wise.

On a side note...I work for Penske Truck Rentals, and not to cut another rental company down, but you very well may not get a truck at all, no matter what place they send you to , or if you have a reservation.

I know we see it all the time, people come in or call all in a panic because U-Haul didn't have and wont have their truck.

I am not sure Where in Iowa you are but there are Penske locations throughout. The prices may be a bit higher, but you will be getting a close to brand new truck and when you reserve...you GET a truck no ifs ands or buts about it.

Just my 10 cents worth.

Mandy :)

10. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I will have to check into that. Problem is I am moving from SD to Iowa. I have never heard of them here. The only reason I went with U-haul was because, I supposedly can get one here, and the closest drop of spot is in Le Mars, IA, the closest town to my new place. Maybe my dad's plan looks better after all. if we don't fit, I suppose the worst that happens is we do it another weekend. he can get his work vehicle free with just the cost of gas. I am going to come back anyway to clean. Seems stupid to drive 3 1/2 hours one way. I know the place I bought was just a pit of filth, and this house is for sale, but I just can't do that to someone...sell them my filth. With the price of gas, it would be more cost effectiv to pay someone to come and clean up my dust bunnies.

11. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

Well... :( there are no Penskes in SD. But there are a ton in Iowa.... you should try calling this number and see if they can help you 1-800-222-0277. Maybe they can help you figure something out. (that is Penskes reservation number)

Or if you can try waiting a weekend, and get the move done for next to nothing with the help of your Dad, then by all means wait. The end of the month is ALWAYS the busiest weekend to move. In other words you will be on the road with all the crazies. LOL :stars:

Either way, best of luck to you,

12. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

I'm living proof of that! They screwed me out of a truck not once but twice. I'd use any other company before them! I just kept asking them what they thought reservation meant, needless to say, they didn't know! Anyway, What's that old saying, Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

I don't know if this option exists for you but the last time I moved we rented a storage unit at an Uncle Bobs storage place. They had a truck that we got to use free for a certain number of hours (maybe 8?) and miles (100?) just for renting a storage unit for a month. We ended up exceeding the number of hours and mileage allowance by about double. Since the overage charges were very low amounts, the whole thing including the storage unit for a month ended up costing a little more than 1/2 of what the uhaul would've cost me. Check it out and see if that's an option for you! I know they have a website.
    Scott

13. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

U-Hauls are top heavy just remember when taking corners,And they have a longer stopping distance yoo. And no you do NOT need to cross scales as you are not operatating as a commercial vehicle when you move your self. Just remember that a standard shift you need to pay better attention to takeing off and stopping.

14. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

Actually James, you do have to stop at weigh stations. It clearly states to do so on Penskes household moves paperwork. We have to tell all customers to do so aswell.

I dont think they (DOT) will chase you if you dont stop, but you are required to. Kind of a new thing since 9-11. DOT can also ask you to open the back and see that you are not carrying anything you aren't supposed to be. (Gotta make sure you aren't a bomb on wheels.)

15. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

As a O T R driver I have yet to see a U-Haul type stop at a scale,

16. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

maybe not...but you are supposed too. Not trying to be argumentative, just letting folks know what I know.

17. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I do appreciate everyone's help/advice. ?Tomorrow I start the joy of workng the phones. Our U0haul man sid sometime the customer has more control than thelocal cloent. he sid I am supposed to call him and the company tomorrow because if we have to go get truck out of town it woud have to be Friday. I just don't know wha it's woth anymore. I never thought it woud be this much of a hassle. I guess I have never moved this far away before. It wopuld have been easier just to sell or give away thing I own, and I already sold a horse ttailer's worthe of stuff. It's like for over a week...back and forth in my mind...is this like some evil sign of something?

18. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

As far as stopping at scales, call the states you will drive through. Each state has its own regulations.

When we moved back to Texas from Colorado about 2-1/2 years ago, I called the Texas DPS and they said that you do not have to stop at the scales if you are driving personal items (non-commercial operation). I had made the mistake of stopping at the first scale in Colorado and was way overweight on the rear axle. They would not let me move from there--not even to go back.

They wanted me to get another truck and off-load some of the items. This would be hard to do with only one driver on a 1,000 mile trip--DW was already driving the van with a trailer with the goats and rabbits but no chickens (too many rules for chickens traveling interstate) quite a sight at the scales in the snow fall.

After the officer had disappeared for a while and made a call, he later came back and told me that he would pretend that he did not see the weight, but made no promises down the road. I told him that I know he could not advise me to do so, but what do they do if they saw a rental drive by without stopping. He told me that they don't get too excited about rentals since they are almost always underweight. (I have helped many pack trucks and I doubt that.) I suspect that he called the main office and found out that like Texas, Colorado did not regulate personal trucking, though I am not for sure. It was sure a change of his tune after he made the phone call though. Also, a few days earlier, I had driven across a different scale without being stopped with the exact same load in the truck. I presume that they knew they did not regulate personal trucking.

Even after September 11, they can only detain you for violations.

Dale (DH of Mary, TX)

19. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Such a lucky break on my U-haul issue. I just had to let you all know. A truck is coming in today, but the man who has it booked extra time so they can take their time unpacking, so I can pick it up at 10 Sat morning, the day of the move. I am so relieved my 18 yr. old and I won't have to drive to a distant town the day before to pick on up the day before. I hoping to get an earlier start, but it's a good trade off. There are always things to be done, like unhooking my washer/dryer, and we can load other vehicles in the meantime. I am still not confident about me driving a, yes, it's going to be a brand new 26 footer, automatic, so I am trying to get ahold of my dad. I really want him to drive it because, not just is he a semi-retired farmer, he also drives semis for his part-time job. That would be well worth the cost of the U-haul insurance because I can list him. Thank you all so much for your help/advice. Everyone has been so very kind. Deb

20. georger

georger Well-Known Member

This past long weekend the provincial police held their blitz, checking for bad/unsafe driving and unsafe vehicles on the highways.

Almost 65% of the U-Haul trucks the police inspected had their plates pulled here due to things like rotted out floors, bad brakes.

Be careful.