Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate it. My nose stopped up. My allergys eating me up. Nose either stopped up or running like a freight train. Itchy eyes. having to go to the bathroom 3 or 4 times a night where I used to sweat it all off during the day. Being COLD, and having to bundle up more. Not seeing women in shorts lol.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Yep, I hate it too. That's why I moved south and love it. About now is when I get the garden ready and spend the next 9 months out in shorts and flip flops. The rest of the year I stay in with the airconditioner.

·
Premium Member
8,303 Posts
Why do outside allergies bother you this time of year? It beautiful this time of year. The high temps have been in the 60s and 70s, although it didn't make 60 a couple times last week. The recent lows in the upper 30s are pretty unusual this time of year. Boy, it'd be wonderful if the temperature was like this more often.

Last winter was snowy and a little on the cold side but weather like that is a million and a half better than somewhere like Texas, Arizona and the like. Blech!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
After watching those reality shows on TV - Life Below Zero - Yukon Men - Railroad Alaska - and others I started to like cold weather - you just have to dress for the cold and then you can enjoy it - it is better than when it's real hot and you can't do anything - the only thing that I don't like is when it is real icy all over and you can't even go out into the yard - that's what happened for a long time last winter - too much ice on the snow -

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Actually, I can handle it to an extent. And years back I actually loved it when I did more ice fishing. Nov= deer hunting, Dec=ice fishing, Jan & Feb =indoor projects and some ice fishing, March = spring ice fishing and starting plants, April = spring and some early gardening (maybe).

But this last winter was almost unbearable, even for me. Too much snow, too much cold. I had to literally shovel several feet of snow in order to have garden spots! And the winter before, with a late April blizzard was a bummer too.

I like the dryness of winter. Once I warm up under the covers, I am out like a light. In fact, I slept great last January when the temp hardly got above 0F. But as I get older I find I have to dress up more in the winter. Long johns, socks, shoes, hooded sweatshirt, and vest when I am indoors!

My wife. She wants to move down south! I will be getting a heated blankets and maybe heated clothing things this year for her birthday and Christmas.

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joshie, I caught asthma from my smoker dad when I was 2. Had it till I was around 55. I got it in the fall of the year, and kept it until after a HARD freeze. I imagine the fall is when the pollen is at its ripest, and the wind the windiest

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe, IF you like going out wearing 2 pair of gloves, a heavy jacket, 2 button up shirts, a pull over shirt, and overhalls, with a heavy flap cap, more power to you. I go around in the summertime the last 2 summers with a long sleeve shirt and a WIDE brim straw hat and jeans. I like that MUCH Better. I sweat out all that I drink and only have to go to the bathroom once or at the most twice a night. NOW, I went 4 times the last couple nights.
NOT TO MENTION, as I said, having to cut wood.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I like the colder myself. Came close to having heatstroke too many times to like hot weather. Also cold weather is a sign of trapping and deer hunting for me. Been filling the freezer with different types of meat through trapping the last few years to cut the grocery prices.

·
Premium Member
25,233 Posts
It's not cold until I put a coat on over my jacket (or 2 jackets for temps between freezing and 0*F). Ohio does not usually get cold enough for me to zip my coat and put on gloves, although last year was a rare exception. As long as I can get warmed up I'm okay with cold. I usually do outdoor hardscaping projects and home repairs in cold weather. No spiders dropping on you when the temp is below 40*F. I like cooler temps, it's the heat I can't stand. I keep threatening to buy a summer home in the Yukon or northern interior Alaska.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Why do outside allergies bother you this time of year? It beautiful this time of year. The high temps have been in the 60s and 70s, although it didn't make 60 a couple times last week. The recent lows in the upper 30s are pretty unusual this time of year. Boy, it'd be wonderful if the temperature was like this more often.

Last winter was snowy and a little on the cold side but weather like that is a million and a half better than somewhere like Texas, Arizona and the like. Blech!
And Florida don't forget Florida we are still in the 90's:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
I could see moving a "little" south, like 250 miles or so. For us that is a climate change. Big difference between N. WI and S. WI! So we would still have winter, just not Siberia-Winter like we had last year.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I love winter. I always breathe a sigh of relief when we get that first hard freeze in the fall...then I know there are no more bugs to deal with. I don't miss the humidity, either. I sleep so much better in the wintertime.

I hate being cold but that is usually just a matter of appropriate dress. I don't mind layering to stay warm, and winter is the best for baking cookies, bars, soups and casseroles! Not to mention the woodstove casting a merry glow with its dancing flames along with some pretty nice toasty heat. We make cider, go out snowmobiling, sledding, snowshoeing, tubing and skiing. Plus there is always ice fishing and skating, too. And of course the frozen lakes are pretty fun for twirling around on, doing doughnuts, lol. There is nothing like hunkering down in a blizzard, watching the snow being flung against the windows and knowing that we are all warm and snug, safe and sound.

I love winter. :)

I am ready for spring when it arrives but by the end of summer I am eager for cooler temps once again. :) I am always amazed at people in warmer climates and don't know how you all manage. I'm a wimp when it comes to heat and humidity. I simply wilt.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I love it. It gets the blood flowing and forces people to slow down and enjoy quality time together.

I wouldn't dread it so much if last winter hadn't been so awful and if this summer had been hotter. It seems like we were cheated out of a decent, long, hot it summer and with the idea of this winter being worse than last .... Well I am less than thrilled.

But I agree with the idea it forces folks to slow down. I worked pretty hard this summer and my bones are tired. I'm kind of looking forward to being inside to work on homey things like learning to sew curtains and catching up on crocheting. And soup. I can't wait for soup. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts