Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going out to bring in off my hay field my 39 round bales. 5X5s. My D Browns 3pt hadn't been working, and it took me near 2 weeks on YT Forums to find out what was wrong and how to fix it. I did 1/2 a job on it, and it worked. for 3 bales. I thought my H would be low of oil as I had been mowing and raking with it, so I went to town and bought a 5 gal bucket of 10W 40 oil. Came back to find that it didn't need oil. Then I hitched up my H Farmall to my bale buggy and headed out. The lock on the windless was shot, so I stuck a cresant wrench between the gears. That worked for 2 bales when I lost the wrench. hour later I found it. Figured out a better way of locking the windless by tying a rope around the handle when the bale was raised, and so I headed out. got 2 bales when the hitch popped off the ball. I had tried a 2in ball at the beginning, but it wouldn't take it. Rehitched and it did it again when I hit a bump with a bale on it. I went to town again. had the old ball and a set of calapers with me. Their sizes was, at TSC 1 7/8ths and 2in. I measured the old ball of which I could read the size. It was near exact the new 1 7/8s. I thought, well, maybe the old one had a bit rubbed off of it with age, and that much weight trying to raise it might just be the problem, so I bought the new 1 7/8ths. Got home, and found that the hole in the Hs hitch was too small for the stud bolt on the ball, so I took the tractor to the torch till it would fit. Then I hitched up to the buggy and got a bale, and it soon popped off also. So, I went back to the tool shed and got a 2in ball with a nut on the end and a hammer to beat it onto the hitch. Got back to the buggy in the field, and the ball fitted up as easy as pie?? Go figger. So were off. I get around 20 some bales when the windless starts stripping gears. I take bailing wire double it, and tie it tight between the two axles that hold the 2 gears. Slightly helps, but gets worse with each bale. Then I took another length of bailing wire and tied it from one axle to a hole in the frame, tight, then take a screwdriver and place between the 2 strands and twist that once. Works for a couple bales then strips again I go to my shed, get 2 lengths of log chain and 2 come alongs, and head back out to the field. Get under a bale. wind the windless till it starts stripping then tie the chains one on one side and one on the other. Then I take a come along and try to break it over. Dosent happen. I loosen it till I can break it over, then go and try to do the same with the other chain and come along. Same thing. That ended hay hauling for today.
Think I shoulda stayed in the hammock lol.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,289 Posts
I'm going to tell you gently but firmly that you need to do a risk analysis on what you are doing before you repeat some of those actions.

My husband spent six months not working last year due to bad decisions around the farm.

Being injured isn't worth not fixing things the RIGHT WAY.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Do I believe in omens? No, but I believe in buying decent equipment and preventive maintenance. I spent enough losing time with POS equipment when I was much younger. Never again.

geo

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Geo, when you have the money and the means, I guess you can do that. I never did. Paid CS for 25yrs, didn't inheirant much of anything, and now on SS.

·
Premium Member
41,089 Posts
Think I shoulda stayed in the hammock lol.
Either that or spent the day making good repairs to your equipment. I have found out the hard way that 10 cent repairs cost far more than doing it right. This doesnt mean you have to spend a fortune, but often just a bit of redesign can get your job done, safely, economically and permanently. :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Some days just werent meant to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts