Types of plants/roots that you should avoid

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jimmy588, Sep 4, 2017.

1. jimmy588

jimmy588 Member

So we recently started a herd and we field graze our herd.
    We have just been reading around the web about what to avoid plant wise and it's been trial and error.
    We have been housing a "pet" rabbit for a friend and he has gotten diarrhea after digging out of our field cage, he MAY have eaten some pine tree roots and I'm not sure what else he'd eaten so if anyone know's where I can get a list of thing's that are "no go's" that'd be great.

2. Marinea

Marinea Well-Known Member

There is a stickied thread at the top of this forum that lists safe plants.

Beyond that, any new food should be introduced slowly and in small amounts to prevent any problems.

3. a7736100

a7736100 Well-Known Member

My rabbits still have enough smarts to avoid plants that give them problems. For example I have lots of azaleas which is supposed to be bad for rabbits but they never touched the plants.

Is it possible that your friend's rabbit never ate fresh plants before? If that is the case expect runny poop no matter how safe the plant.

4. jimmy588

jimmy588 Member

Mr Marshmallow was a dominant and a kids 2nd rabbit, we got him from the owner as a gift for a 4h girl and he's dialed back the dominance issue but he hasn't spent much time in grass, his system finally changed to grass and grain so we can pasture him, turns out the tree he was under is a no no for their guts and he dug up a root and ate part of it, thus the runs. 2 days of pumpkin 2x a day before meal helped push the stuff out of him fast enough he r e covered in 3 days. Now if I could get my storm cloud grey meat buck to wanna breed I could breed him to our New Zealand doe and get furs and meat sales.
    I have joked about natural aphrodisiacs for him with my wife... she didn't appreciate the joke's